Shadow Spinner | Teen Ink

Shadow Spinner MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Have you ever wondered whatlife was like hundreds of years ago in the Middle East? If so, look no furtherthan Shadow Spinner, a novel based on the age-old tale of Shahrazad and toldthrough the eyes of her young harem girl, Marjan.

The story of Shahrazadbegan more than a thousand years ago (probably in Persia), and variations arefound all over the world. "I have used Richard F. Burton's Englishtranslation as my guide," says Fletcher about writing this novel.

Shahrazad weds the sultan, who murders his wives at dawn the day after hemarries them. Shahrazad, however, draws the sultan into her many stories, and canstay alive as long as she continues to tell one each night. After almost 1,000nights, however, she has run out of stories, and that is where Marjan comesin.

Marjan is a wonderful character who just about everyone can relate to.A crippled girl, Marjan is soon swept up into a deadly plot. Throughout, you geta real sense of Marjan as a strong, loyal person willing to do anything for herShahrazad. You learn of her past bit by bit and discover this sweet girl's deephatred for her dead mother.

Another great aspect of this book is that youfeel like you are right there. The descriptions of everyday life are so vivid,whether of the palace or the poor at the bazaar, that it is very easy to get intothe story.

Shadow Spinner has a strong sense of adventure and mystery,especially when Marjan has to leave the harem (which is not allowed) to find morestories. The difficulty of her mission is compounded when the Khatun becomessuspicious. Marjan must become even sneakier, yet she continues to put her lifein danger to save her hero.

Human emotion comes across strongly in all thecharacters - from betrayal, fear, hatred and even love. These emotions areintegrated in all the storylines, and can be found in every paragraph of thisamazing book. Shadow Spinner is a wonderful, exciting novel that will keep you onthe edge of your chair from start to finish.

i love this !

BUI1 said...
Can you do a book report on that book for me?