A Room With a View | Teen Ink

A Room With a View MAG

By Anonymous

Review by E. K., New City, NY
   A Room With A View, a novel by E. M.Forster, is a love story that captures the flavor of 19th centuryEngland with a theme similar to James Cameron's Titanic. Anupperclass young woman rebels against her society when she finds lovewith a common man who is able to show her a new world. What I likedmost about this book is it shows that love does not discriminate, andan open mind means an open heart.

   Lucy Honeychurch visits Italy with her cousin Charlotte, a snobbishelderly woman (to whom Lucy cannot relate). Arriving at their hotel,they meet Mr. Emerson and his son, George. Charlotte is dissatisfiedwith her room, complaining it has no view of the beautiful mountains.The Emersons are kind and give their room to the ladies. George givesup his view for Lucy, a theme throughout the novel. George, with hisinsight and kindness, shows Lucy things she never knew.

   A Room With A View, has wonderful love scenes filled withpassion and desire. At one point, Lucy witnesses a murder in themarket place when there is a brawl between two merchants. When onestabs the other, blood covers the paintings she had just bought. Lucypasses out, and George saves her from the mob. His rationality healsher pain from this experience. Lucy has never met anyone as logicaland down to earth, and she begins to fall in love with him.

   Unfortunately, Lucy is engaged to Cecil, is an upper-class man whofeels women are incompetent and must be dominated. Not allowed tohave her own ideas, Lucy's mind begins to shrink. George tells hershe is her own person, and she begins to question her love forCecil.

   A Room With A View, was definitely an entertaining book.Dra-matic yet humorous, fate and truth intertwine. I highly recommendit to any reader who would like to see the world through anotherpoint of view. Don't miss it.