The Leaving and other stories by Budge Wilson | Teen Ink

The Leaving and other stories by Budge Wilson

By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

The Leaving and other stories is a collection of nine short stories worthy of finding a place on every teenage girl's shelf. My advice for reading these stories is to read one right before closing your eyes at night. You'll find many of the stories, directly after reading, utterly pointless and stupid, but when you wake up the morning after and think back on the story you read the night before, you will feel like you have just been punched in the stomach by Muhammad Ali at the horror of those utterly pointless and stupid stories.

I read "The Metaphor" and felt as if I were wasting my time reading this book, until I woke up the next morning and thought I would puke. Many of the stories take a good night's rest or a few days for the shocking reality of these stories to sink in, while others, like "My Cousin Clarette" will make you gasp in horror moments before the final sentence.

Now I would be lying if I told you each story made you feel this way, because they don't. Or at least I didn't feel this way after each story. But the majority of the stories involve teen girls entering a stage of life where nothing is as it was and nothing seems easy anymore. Some revolve around parents, school, teachers or siblings, but each story has a girl learning a lesson no one had warned her about, or possibly one no one knew she learned. These lessons are horrific and shockingly real.

If you feel like a short and easy, yet heavy, read, pick up The Leaving and other stories by Budge Wilson.

*trivia
-Each story takes place in Nova Scotia, where Budge Wilson lives.

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Hey, I was just looking through my articles again and saw this comment and If I haven't commented on your of your pieces, I'm sorry! Teen Ink changed the profiles and it's hard to find people's work! So, if you'd like to send me the title to one of you pieces and where to find it, I'll look it up and check out more of your stuff.

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

alright sure :)

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

You're welcome and it seems worth a shot. Maybe you could check out some of my stuff if you want, I'd like to know what you think!!

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Thank you very much! I honestly wasn't especting much, but it really surprised me!! You'll either love it or hate it, no in between :)

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

I'm literally writing this title down so I can find it in the library next time I go. Awesome writing!!