The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke | Teen Ink

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke

Lost in a city, 2 runaway brothers struggle to survive, until they meet The Thief Lord. He is a master of disguise and mystery… or is he?
In this adventurous book, Prosper and his younger brother Bo runaway from their terrible Aunt Esther. They runaway to Venice, the land of their dreams. To find them, Esther goes to a private called Victor Getz. Victor tries to find them. But in Venice, it's just a ginormous game of hide and seek, and the children aren't alone. They meet a girl who calls herself hornet. She is also an orphan and she takes them to Thief Lord. The Thief Lord is a master thief and he finds them a warm, nice hideout, until one thief job changes everything. They find out the Thief Lord's dark secret and Prosper takes an enchanting boat ride where a merry-go-round can change your life.

“He closed his eyes and felt the magic as if he were turning into the winged lion himself.” Funke writes with that kind of descriptiveness throughout the entire book. Readers of all ages should find this magical book very interesting. It is full of twists and turns and you never know what will happen next. The genre of this book is adventuress and the kids are always struggling to survive and find a way to live.
I would rate this book 9.5/10, probably because of the very well written ending that has a huge twist that shows off Funke's writing. It is extremely well written and everyone should like this book. The Thief Lord will take your imagination on a wild ride.