The Twice Born by Pauline Gedge | Teen Ink

The Twice Born by Pauline Gedge

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

The Twice Born by Pauline Gedge follows the story of Huy, a young boy in ancient Egypt who is about to be sent off to school to learn to be a scribe. His parents could not afford school, but his rich uncle has paid for his education. At school, his easy success stirs up jealousy and ill wishes from his fellow pupils. He is killed because of a vicious attack by Sennefer, a boy who has bullied him since he came to school eight years ago.

But, Huy is resurrected by the gods and is tasked with deciphering the Book of Thoth, a book about the creation of the world. He is also given the powers of a Seer and his fame spreads, attracting the attention of Pharaoh Amunhotep. Before his campaign in Rethennu, Pharaoh Amunhotep consults Huy to see his fate. When Huy’s prediction is proved correct, he is pulled into a world of luxury that he never even dreamed of entering.

Huy, son of Hapu would become a man of legend, feared and worshipped throughout Egypt.

The Twice Born isn’t an action-packed thriller, but it is an interesting novel. Huy, son of Hapu was a real historical figure, although next to nothing is known about his younger years. Pauline Gedge has filled in that gap with a very plausible explanation. Gedge hooks her reader from the very first sentence and sucks them into the amazing world that was ancient Egypt. The cliffhanger ending will leave readers anxious for the next volume in The King’s Man trilogy, Seer of Egypt.

The Twice Born is an amazing book; I own the whole trilogy!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :) 

tinytechie SILVER, 34 Ridgewood St., Connecticut

"I've been singing since I was born" - Idina Menzel

really good summary and this review really gave me good advice on the book. i think you did a great job with commenting on it, especially since you said it was slow moving.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :) I hope you enjoy The Twice Born.

GingerLily BRONZE, Aulnay-sur-Mauldre, Other

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world" - Oscar Wilde

I've seen your username around the website a lot, and you're a really good writer! I was just trolling the reviews section looking for a few good books to read, and The Twice Born is definitely on that list. Finally some historical fiction about Ancient Egypt that doesn't seem predictable. Thanks for writing this :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  And the book is interesting. :)

whitstar27 GOLD, Edison, New Jersey

when life gives you lemons, make grape juice. Then step back and let the world wonder how you did it
and
when life gives you lemon, throw them back at life

I think this was good, because it succeeded at making the book seem interesting.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

A scribe was someone who wrote down things for a rich noble.

Thanks for commenting!

musicispassion PLATINUM, Perris, California

" Life is never easy for those who dream."
There are so many other quotes i need pages to write them

once again good review this book sounds more interesting no offense what is a scribe?

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!  I was intrigued by the author's note that Huy was a real historical character and I did some research to find out it was true!  I really did love this book. :)

Anerio_Deorma BRONZE, NULL, Washington

NULL

I know absolutely nothing about this author or series, but your review was exellent overall, I like the fact that you included the part about how Huy DID Exist. This tells me you diddn't just copy the back of the book. I really hate people that do that and say "OMG YAH IM LIKE SUCH A GOOD WRITER!"

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Aw, thanks NinjaGirl!

NinjaGirl BRONZE, Valley City, North Dakota

The only thing holding us back in life is our desire to stay where we are and not venture further.
~Some random person on the Internet :P

I'm excited to read it! I already know it'll be great! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Aw, thanks NinjaGirl!  Yeah, I'm going to write some more fiction.  I'm actually working on something right now.  Look for it in the forums in the next few days. :)

~Some random person on the Internet :P

I think we all knew this would be a great review, coming from you, so I'm just going to ask if you plan on writing some fiction for the site? If you did I'd definitely read it!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I know this isn't my best review, but I don't think it's my worst.  Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I don't know if this review was as good as some of your others, but the book definitely sounds interesting!!! :)

on Jun. 29 2011 at 11:57 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, Eno-Bladz!  I hope you enjoy it.

on Jun. 29 2011 at 11:49 am
Eno_Bladez GOLD, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

it'll be okay, if it's not okay it's not over.

your reveiw sounds great i think i'll read the series.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the comment!

FizzingWhizbees27 BRONZE, Davis, California
Nice review! Shows opinion and has a short summary. Well done.