Lush by Natasha Friend | Teen Ink

Lush by Natasha Friend

This is the story of a 13 year old girl in eighth grade. Her dad Is a major alcoholic. Or as she calls it he is a lush. But this isn't a sad story in which the dad leaves the family and everything falls apart. No, this story is how her actions and perseverance save their family.

Sam decides to keep her fathers drinking habits secret. Everything wells up in her with no one to tell. She can't even talk to her own mom.

Now, Sam decides to talk about it. But not to her friends. She visits the library every day after school, and one day she leaves a note inside a book that has never been checked out. She thinks a girl named Juliet gets it and is writing. But when the note comes back each time with a signature AJK she isn't so sure anymore.

This gorgeously written book is extremely exciting. Natasha Friend has the first hand experience of a father being an alcoholic so this is anything but corny. I know you, as I did, will grow to love Sam, her little brother Luke, and her yoga crazy mom.

Lush is for anyone in middle school. If you are in eight grade or above you will really understand. But I warn you there is some pretty crazy things that happen in this book, so be prepared.

I would say that this is the kind of book that will get you to bawl, and yet laugh at the same time. This book I so cute, at sometimes I wish I could be Sam for a while. This is a truly great book.