The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton | Teen Ink

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton is a wonderful story about the trials and afflictions created between two opposing gangs. This award-winning story teaches many things about life and friendship, that everyone should know about.

With his group of Greasers, the main character Ponyboy Curtis tells his tale about the struggle that his gang has with the West-side Socs in Tulsa, Oklahoma. One night Ponyboy runs away from his home with his friend Johnny late in the night. They are soon jumped by some drunken Socs, and in fear, Johnny takes things too far. In a rush Ponyboy and Johnny must leave town and hide. One day Ponyboy is in Tulsa, the next he is saving children and having an all-out battle with the Socs. This action packed and yet touching story will make you want to read more and more.

S.E. Hinton, being only 16 at the time she wrote the book, was able to have kids her age relate to their daily problems, even if they weren't as severe. By expressing the theme of “staying gold” Hinton tries to tell readers to keep their young innocent spirits, and to have an open mind. The lessons alone make The Outsiders a phenomenal book that you won't want to put down.