Where the Germs Are by Nicholas Bakalar | Teen Ink

Where the Germs Are by Nicholas Bakalar

By TiffanyViggiano SILVER, Riverside, California
TiffanyViggiano SILVER, Riverside, California

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education". Mark Twain

In Nicholas Bakalar's book Where the Germs Are he serves as a tour guide through our every day lives and the microbes we share them with. Bakalar gives an eye opening look at the dangers that lurk in the most common of places leading the reader through house hold bathrooms, rest rants, hospitals, bedrooms, and many more places where we explore various germs that could be found there.

I found this book to be extremely intriguing because it demonstrated the importance of science in every day life and how it is all around us every second of every day. I found myself unable to put the book down and read for hours on end because of how tangled up I got in the knowledge I was gaining especially the chapters on pets and the outdoors. I will admit that some chapters lagged a bit like chapter three toilet training but overall it was still an outstanding piece of literature. I would definitely recommend this book to people who are interested in microbiology, or want to know the truth about “proper” hygiene. However I must warn you that if you are not looking for a book that is dripping with scientific experiments and concepts you should probably pick another book.

Mr. Bakalar explores the germs that are lurking all over our world and in doing so he draws the reader in and teaches so much about germs themselves. This book will definitely change how you look at the world around you especially the next time you go to brush your teeth or use a sponge. This book is definitely a must read.