Matched by Ally Condie | Teen Ink

Matched by Ally Condie

By BriRose2014 SILVER, Fremont, Nebraska
BriRose2014 SILVER, Fremont, Nebraska

"A man reserves his true and deepest love not for the species of woman in whose company he finds himself electrified and enkindled, but for that one in whose company he may feel tenderly drowsy."
-George Jean Nathan

This book was amazing! I loved every page, even though I occasionally got bored or angry with the book.

The book is set in a dystopian place that the Society controls. Each person has a life chosen by Officials. They are told where to work, when they will die, and even who they will love.

The main character, Cassia Reyes, is a lovable and believeable girl. In the beginning, she trusts the things that the Society has established at first, but as the book goes along, she begins to realize that everyone deserves their own choice.

Cassia was a good character, but she made me angry with some of her choices.

In the book, those who say they want to be Matched to someone have a Match chosen for them. Cassia's match is her friend, Xander. Xander is a blond haired, blue eyed sweetheart who is head over heels for Cassia. I loved him most out of the characters because:

1. I love blond haired blue eyed guys!

And,

2. He is a complete sweetheart. He's really nice and he would do anything for Cassia.

When Cassia and Xander are Matched, she is given a microcard that tells her all about her Match and the Courtship Guidelines. While looking at it, Xander's face disappears and a new one appears, a boy named Ky Markham. He is an Aberration, and Aberrations and Anomalies are not allowed to be Matched to anyone.

At first, Cassia ignores what she sees and sticks to Xander's side. But, as time goes on, and Cassia begins to start seeing Ky more often and begins to fall for him, she immediately wants to be with Ky.

This angered me a bit, not because of Xander's looks or anything, but because she basically tossed him aside once she heard there was someone different and mysterious that she had no idea about. It was like the idea of meeting a stranger who could easily hurt her was more fun than sticking with someone she knew. I saw this part as what people typically think a girl does: pick the jerk and leave the good guy behind. That's what I saw this as; Cassia leaves Xander behind to pursue Ky (Ky's not a jerk, though. He's actually really nice) just because she barely knows him. Poor Xander. He gets basically "friend-zoned" by Cassia. I even felt bad for him when he helped try to keep Ky and Cassia together, even though he didn't want to do that. That is true love.

But, the thing that angered me more than some of Cassia's choices was the Society. I was glad when Cassia finally decided to start being different. I wouldn't stand a place like that. People need to be able to make their own choices in life, like Cassia realizes in the book. After she learns this, she defies the Society by doing what she feels is right, and I applaud her for that.

This book was a great read, and I can't wait to get started on the second one. I hope it's as good as the first!

This was a fantastic book to read.