Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks | Teen Ink

Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks

February 16, 2014
By Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin
Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin
50 articles 7 photos 103 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Madness in great ones must not unwatched go" --Claudius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet


Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks was for sure a solid book. While not everyone’s cup of tea, it certainly provided an interesting enough storyline, while focusing quite heavily on the cartoon humor portrayed in the graphic novel’s pictures.

The book starts with an average, everyday girl, Maggie McKay, getting ready for her first day of school. Only this first day is something special. You see, before all of this, Maggie was only home schooled, with only her mom as a teacher, and her three brothers as classmates. Now, though Maggie is attending public school for the first time. And not just any old public school. High school. Freshman year to be specific.

As Maggie is guided along her first day of school by her oldest brother Daniel, she comes across a pair of “rejects” like herself. Alistair and Lucy. Together they decide to form “an awesome rebel social group” (72). Together these three “misfits” will go on a series of adventures, from stealing a crusty old sea captain’s antiquated prosthetic hand, to trying to communicate with a ghost, to digging up old rivalries between Alistair, Daniel, and the high school volleyball team, and asking some serious questions about the absentee McKay mother.

While Friends with Boys is not entirely unique in its plot, setting, or even characters (though the fact that Alistair went from preppy jock to punk rebel was an interesting one) it was an entertaining story, based mainly the merits of its pictures. There is no doubt that the novel relies heavily on its cartoons, and the humor found there, though there is a bit of drama as well.

A quick read, but a good one, Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks is a story that not only contains humor, but a good dose of heartfelt messages. While, it relies heavily on its cartoons, it still tells a satisfying story.

I give it 4/5 stars.


The author's comments:
I wrote this review on a book that I read for my school’s Battle of the Books competition. If you’d like to read other reviews on other B.O.B. books check out my profile. Thanks!