Zom-B Mission by Darren Shan | Teen Ink

Zom-B Mission by Darren Shan

By SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois
SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois

“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”
― Henry David Thoreau

In the latest installment of Darren Shan’s 12 book epic which came out on April 8th 2018, Zom-B, book 7, Zom-B Missions begins the second half of the series with a roar. B Smith and the other Angels are no longer sitting around training. The Angels get finally receive their first mission.

They have to safely escort a group of human survivors from the Zombie infested streets that plague London to New Kirkham, a barricaded utopia that lies in the country. But after struggling through the countryside full of hordes of undead fiends, B discovers that the survivors of the town don't necessarily represent the best of humanity.

Although Shan’s books are short, they delve into extraordinary topics; this series primarily deals with racism. The way he combines horror with hot topics is done skillfully. Both are weaved flawlessly together, with neither of them falling short of brilliance.

As the series progresses, it steadily gets bloodier and gorier. In Zom-B Mission as the Angels are to guard the survivors to safety, the group naturally encounters zombies and panic ensues. The stakes are getting higher and higher as well. The conflicts B faces showcases how she develops as a character throughout the series.

The fashion that Shan constructs his stories, the reader has no idea of what will come next. The cliffhanger where Zom-B Mission ends leaves the reader pining for more, even though the next book will only be out in three months.