Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare | Teen Ink

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

June 16, 2014
By Wontgiveup17 PLATINUM, Bloomington, Illinois
Wontgiveup17 PLATINUM, Bloomington, Illinois
23 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life beats down and crushes the soul but art reminds you that you have one. -Stella Adler
He who lives upon hope will die fasting.
-Benjamin Franklin
If you're absent during my struggle. Don't expect to be present during my success.


The tragedy of Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare is the epitome of impulsive romance. The star-crossed offspring's of two selfishly feuding families fall into a forbidden love only to land in a shared grave created by their injudicious choices. Friar Lawrence and Lord Capulet are the ones to blame for Romeo’s and Juliet’s untimely deaths.

Partial blame for the star-crossed lovers demise falls upon the shoulders of Friar Lawrence. First off, he is immensely obsequious. He married Romeo and Juliet against the wishes of their parents just to satisfy the desires of their premature love. The feud between the Capulets and the Montagues would prevent them to join in matrimony, for they abhor the thought of their kindred being with their opposing adversaries, so Romeo and Juliet had to keep their love a secret. Since Friar Lawrence didn’t speak to her father of her previous agreements in marriage, she was commanded to marry Paris, leading her into taking the potion. He also gave Juliet the potion that would have her appear deceased for a total of forty-two hours as to help prevent her from wedding Paris. Juliet was to be forced into an arranged loveless marriage with Paris by Lord Capulet's decision, hence going to Friar Lawrence for any alternative ending with Romeo taking his life because he believed Juliet was truly dead. Secondly, Friar Lawrence is a very egotistical man as well. He doesn’t consider the consequences for others, especially when it comes to Romeo and Juliet. Friar Lawrence abandoned Juliet in the monument after she woke to find Romeo’s barren body, only so he wouldn’t be caught when the guards arrived, resulting in Juliet seeking comfort from the “happy dagger” (Shakespeare V.III. 173). Friar Lawrence should have spoken up about her plans so she would still have her life.

Additionally, Lord Capulet also carries fragments of blame when it comes to the expiry of Romeo’s and Juliet’s lives. To begin, he is an exceedingly indecisive man. Lord Capulet said he would not rush Juliet into marriage due to all the misfortune that had come to his previous daughters who had married too young, yet he had arranged for her to wed Paris without her consent. Not only did Juliet not have any amorous feelings for Paris, she had already clandestinely been promised to Romeo, the heir of the man whom her father loathes. Furthermore, he had moved the chosen wedding date up a day to move along the marriage process. Lord Capulet should’ve kept his choices in stone because by being so indecisive it caused Juliet to panic and search for an easy way out. Just like Friar Lawrence, Lord Capulet is eminently egotistical as well. Lord Capulet oppressed Juliet by selfishly trying to force her into a marriage with a man she did not feel passion towards, precipitating her will to rebel. Lord Capulet could’ve given Juliet a say in who her life partner was chosen to be so it wouldn’t have gotten to the point where she disobeyed her father’s wishes. Lord Capulet could’ve saved his daughter's existence if only he had acted as a father, not a warden, and had given her some sort of free will in the choices for her life.
Falling upon the shoulders of Lord Capulet and Friar Lawrence is the termination of Romeo’s and Juliet’s existence. Friar Lawrence is an obsequious egotist, while Lord Capulet is an indecisive egotist. The two of them could have saved the lives of Romeo and Juliet if they had chosen their actions more wisely. In the end, a selfish man does more harm to his victims by simply dictating their fate, just as Friar Lawrence and Lord Capulet did to Romeo and Juliet.


The author's comments:
For English class we had to write an essay about the two main people we would blame for the demise of Romeo and Juliet. I chose Friar Lawrence and Lord Capulet.