Witch and Wizard by James Patterson | Teen Ink

Witch and Wizard by James Patterson

By Rosie630 GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Rosie630 GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra." ~Jimmy Johnson

A heart-pounding, apprehensive, “not-so-fantasy” world is created in James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet’s Witch and Wizard. Being the first book in the series, it sets the stage for the fictional biography of two teenagers’ lives under totalitarian rule and oppressive actions of the dictator, known as “The One Who Is The One”. The allusion to our society, post WWII events and how your actions can truly change the world is what makes Witch and Wizard an engaging read.
On a normal day home from school, Siblings Wisteria and Whitford Allgood are suddenly arrested and convicted of being a witch and wizard. As they are being dragged away from their parents, they are each given a seemingly random token. They are instructed to keep these tokens from their parents close by at all times and to believe in themselves. The confusion, distress, and longing to be normal again are all the teens can think about as they are quarantined to a prison almost completely filled with convicted children. It’s the future, and the New Order has taken over the government and the world as we know it. Any person who is suspected to have powers strong enough to challenge the New Order is immediately sanctioned. The children permeate the walls of the prison like soldiers, forced to do manual labor and conform to the One Who Is The One’s socialist ideals. Wisteria, known as ‘Wisty’, is a sour-mouthed, ambitious redhead whose magic flames just as high as her temper. Her fight for independence and freedom makes the story that much more relatable. Whit is a love-struck quarterback with a secret poetic mind and humoristic attitude. His fight to protect his younger sister, and to reunite with his girlfriend Celia ties in the emotional and romantic aspect of this mystery, adventure, and fantasy fusion needed to make you swoon and root for the happy ending. Whit and Wisty encounter numerous jailbreaks, rescue missions and battles with oppressors such as the government, justice, their own fears, and the threat of death, in order to find and rescue their parents. Not only do they learn more than they could ever imagine about the plans for the New Order society, Whit and Wisty learn and grapple with their new powers, and the hardships that they bring. Ultimately, the teens discover their changing personalities and the constant fight to stay who they are.
Patterson’s writing style admittedly can be confusing, with his short chapters and constant change in point of view. Despite this, the plot and action-packed details amplifies the desire to keep reading. Patterson voices opinions that many teenagers have about society and the adults who make all the decisions. Perhaps sometimes it’s beneficial to listen to the younger population’s feelings! If you are into books like The Hunger Games, Chronicles of Vladimir Todd, Legend, or Darkness Rising, Witch and Wizard will be right up your alley, especially if you are in the Harry Potter fan club and looking for a quick, wizardry read. Currently, there are four books in the series, with a fifth on the way December 15th, 2014. Witch and Wizard connects dystopian society with actual society in the point of view that is relevant to us teenagers. Leaving the world of Whit and Wisty, you feel like you can take on the world.

AmazinGracey PLATINUM, Wilmington, Delaware
Nice job! :)