Generation Me | Teen Ink

Generation Me

By Aaron Kilbride BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Aaron Kilbride BRONZE, Plano, Texas

Many People worry about today's teenagers but few take the time to get to the core of the problem, why we are the way we are. Twenge seeks to prove with hard fact what many have assumed for years, that 'young Americans are more confident, assertive, entitled ' and miserable than ever before' as the subtitle proclaims. She point how focus has shifted from achievement and merit to self-esteem and feelings. This shift in focus is the root cause of many of today's problems, Twenge proposes. The rise in depression, Narcissism, and the decline in academics can all be traced to this dilemma.

The work as a whole has a very scientific feel, full of statistics, fancy tests, and big words. This helps the work by adding to credibility of her perspective; she shows that she is not some blas' researcher and that she is a real person. Being a member of generation me it is tedious to read 242 pages of how I was raised wrong, but it is comforting to know that someone bothered to find out why and they took the time to give me solutions to my 'problems' as well. Unfortunately the book also gets quite boring after 3-4 chapters because the whole book points in the same direction, and it feels like you are reading the same thing over and over again. Although, with almost 600 citations of validated scientific questionnaires, the work is surprisingly easy to read and follow, which seems at odds with the nature of the book, but in the end is quite refreshing. The 'Applying Your Knowledge' chapter is particularly useful, and brings a very practical close to the book.

All in all, Generation Me is very educational as well as enjoyable read. Not only does the author keep interest throughout, but, she leaves you will some useful information. Whether you agree with her or not, you will surely enjoy reading Generation Me.