The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer | Teen Ink

The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer

February 4, 2016
By SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois
SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois
27 articles 31 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”
― Henry David Thoreau


I have wanted to read this book since it came out. When I finally did, I was left with a feeling of disappointment.

Because I listened to the audiobook, I had to listen to Palmer narrate it. She conveyed her emotions in a way that all felt rather bland. But the one thing that made the audiobook interesting was the way her songs were woven through out it. It broke up her monotonous tone with fun songs.

Sadly, the music was the best thing about the book. The book was like if Palmer simply wrote what came to head and wrote it on the page. That is great for getting to know here, but it does not make for great writing. And because of that, the book comes off as a jumbled mess. There is not a general cohesiveness to the different parts.

But the message was the most important part to the biography. Don’t get too preoccupied about asking. Asking is okay. Everyone does it and it doesn’t have to be awkward. People are willing to help if you give them the chance.

So, give a chance on this book.