These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly | Teen Ink

These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly

February 20, 2016
By Mackenzie. BRONZE, Schenectady, New York
Mackenzie. BRONZE, Schenectady, New York
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Imagine if your father had been killed? Now imagine if the police told you that your father, a smart man who knows how to handle his gun accidentally shot himself while cleaning it. You’d have some questions about the actuality of that. Just like Josephine (Jo) Montfort does in These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly.
The story takes place in the 1890s going into the 20th century. In a world full of parties, old money vs. new money, and expectations Jo finds herself at home. But when the sudden death of her father happens she demands answers and learns of the world outside her front door.
Throughout the book we see the harrowing adventures of Eddie Gallagher; a struggling journalist who wants his big break and Jo. As they search for answers to her father’s death they encounter pickpockets, a criminal ringleader called the Tailor, a man with tattoos all over his face (and a claim that the Montfort family isn’t as standup as they say they are), and a scar faced man who will do whatever it takes to stop Eddie and Jo from finding out the truth.
Jo has grown up in a world of luxury and expectations. Where the best a woman could do was marry quick and well. “You, on the other hand, wish to know things. And no one can forgive a girl for that.”
But all the while she has longed to be something more than just a wife at home, she longs to write hard hitting stories like Nellie Bly a real life journalist who spent 10 days in an asylum to find out how people were being treated. Jo is very clever as we see her sneaking out of her house and coming up with quick stories so her family doesn’t suspect anything of her. When she meets Eddie, who seems to be one of the first people who treats her like a person and not some precious fragile flower that could break at any moment she is extremely grateful and even more so after he agrees to help her chase down the story.
And so the adventure begins with Jo and Eddie running all around the city from the morgue to Madame Esther’s prostitution house they search for answers. And while at some points the readers can guess what’s coming next the excitement never stops and the hits just keep coming.
Written beautifully and with wonderful, exciting characters These Shallow Graves is a must read. SO make sure to put it on your list now.