Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus | Teen Ink

Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus MAG

March 5, 2009
By NoRulesJustWrite PLATINUM, Ada, Michigan
NoRulesJustWrite PLATINUM, Ada, Michigan
21 articles 5 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stay happy, stay weird, and don't let anyone take away your smile.


Miles to Go took me on a road trip through the life of a girl I thought I already knew everything about. Boy, was I wrong. With every sentence, I felt like Miley was talking to me, having a sister-to-sister chat. She wrote this book with her heart, and that is why it is so meaningful.

Miley is not a cookie-cutter celebrity, like many say. She knows where she came from and won’t forget it. She lives by her values and holds onto her strong faith.

Miley’s family is always her top priority. While she may be famous and live in L.A., who she is hasn’t changed. If her little sister, Noah, wants her to stay home and watch a movie, Miley will. Even if Miley gets invited to a celebrity party, it’s clear that she will choose her family first.

My favorite part of the book was when she talks about Vanessa, a girl who was, as Miley puts it, “the sister God forgot to give me.” Vanessa was a 9-year-old suffering from cystic fibrosis. Miley met her at a hospital and they became instant friends. Miley kept in contact with her family and often visited Vanessa at the hospital or called when she was on tour. One day Miley called only to find out that Vanessa’s time on Earth had ended. Miley was devastated. She immediately got off the tour bus and lay down in a frozen field. This was when Miley realized how much she had needed Vanessa, and how important it is to love every day and not take it for granted. This was just one of Miley’s many beautiful stories.

Somewhere between introducing us to Pappy Cyrus, who changed so many lives, learning to accept her “cankles,” and sharing her love for eating eggs with syrup, Miley connects with readers. For someone so young, Miley is one of the most brilliant people I have ever seen. Her fame hasn’t changed her; she stays grounded with the help of her family and her faith.

When this book came out, I became Miley’s number-one fan all over again. In reading Miles to Go, I felt like a part of the family.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 253 comments.


on May. 19 2010 at 10:50 pm
NoRulesJustWrite PLATINUM, Ada, Michigan
21 articles 5 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stay happy, stay weird, and don't let anyone take away your smile.

When I wrote this review last year, my opinion on Miley was based on the same girl the world had been seeing for a few years: a down-to-earth, country, simple, giving girl who got lucky enough to live out her dreams. I was happy for her because she seemed grateful and grounded. I had been a huge fan of her's since I was in the 7th grade. I'm in 11th grade now, and this year, I've noticed Miley's change in attitude and in her life in general. This new Miley takes things for granted, conforms to the scummy outfits and ways of much older "artists", and overall is being someone completely the opposite of the girl she had been. I am very disappointed in Miley and it makes me sad actually that this is the path she chose to take. For so long, she was a positive role model to me and to many others. Now, I just hope others can pick up on the fact that Miley's actions are not ones to be imitated, especially by her young fan base. I agree with you completely.

on May. 19 2010 at 9:25 pm
1two3Kelsey PLATINUM, Peoria, Arizona
49 articles 10 photos 71 comments

Favorite Quote:
**~~ Please Geek Responsibly ~~**

:: Faith is to believe what you do not yet see, The reward for that faith is to see what you believe ::

** Why do we kill people who kill people, to show that killing people is wrong? **

Writergirl13, Of course she is going to dramatize certain things to make herself more interesting, and I'm sure her managers and editors added some things that aren't true, but I think that she wrote the basis and the editors put certain things in there too. Nice comment.

on May. 19 2010 at 9:21 pm
1two3Kelsey PLATINUM, Peoria, Arizona
49 articles 10 photos 71 comments

Favorite Quote:
**~~ Please Geek Responsibly ~~**

:: Faith is to believe what you do not yet see, The reward for that faith is to see what you believe ::

** Why do we kill people who kill people, to show that killing people is wrong? **

True, Miley has managers (as all celebrities) that make decisions for her and do things for her, but that doesn't mean she didn't get any input, or atleast co-write it. Honestly, I think she wrote it, but had a little help - she's not a proffesional author & it says in the book. She probably had someone edit it for her, but I'm sure Miley wrote most of the book & gave the most input. I give her credit, if you look at who writes her songs, it's usually not her. BUT the book says it is BY Miley with help from someone (can't remember the name). Kudos to her :) Great article.

on May. 19 2010 at 9:00 pm
StarlightStormcloud, Pasadena, California
0 articles 3 photos 34 comments
Honestly, Miley's persona isn't that attractive either.  I have a young friend who went to a private concert of hers and while Liam Hemsworth was very courteous and took pictures with everybody, Miley wasn't to be bothered and refused to even meet her fans briefly afterwards.  I think it's important for famous people to remember who brought them to success.  Miley seems to have a large ego and a disregard for her public image.  Nobody made the choice for her to become a superstar, so in my opinion she needs to take responsibility for the lifestyle she has chosen.  No more of this "everybody makes mistakes" stuff.  Reading "her" book won't make me "know" her any better.  Writing a novel is a huge accomplishment to be respected, but not when it's self centered for monetary and publicity gain and not even written fully by her.   

on May. 19 2010 at 8:51 pm
StarlightStormcloud, Pasadena, California
0 articles 3 photos 34 comments
Honestly, I agree with writer girl.  I wouldn't waste my money on what seems like another attempt to appease haters and make fans think that she is less dysfunctional.  That Vanessa story sounds like a bunch of cheesy nonsense to me.  I'm sorry but I cannot bring myself to take seriously a book written by a 17 year old with outside help.  The fact that she's a songwriter doesn't reveal a single thing about her ability to craft a novel!! 

on May. 19 2010 at 7:11 pm
Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
31 articles 4 photos 167 comments
I agree with volleyball#12. I may not be Miley's biggest fan, but how can you call someone a brat who you've never met or even talked to? It's just kinda ridiculous and a little bit pathetic, too.

pokerface said...
on May. 19 2010 at 3:34 pm
I agree. she definitely did not write it. its so obvious.

on May. 19 2010 at 7:46 am
Happy2lV3Hate GOLD, Gfa, Kentucky
10 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
Im gone...dust in the wind. I smile down at these people.

Stop pretending, your just like me. You'll die one day or another.

Exactly, we can't determine a person we do not know from something they write, even with or without help. She is a stranger to almost everyone unless you meet her. I am not biased on this, I am being straight to the point: We don't know her, we may never know her, so do not criticise her. Tabloids are tabliods, videos are to videos, books are to books. This is how she wants to add more to her claim to fame, then be damned let it be a book. I think I may read this, I will not buy it, but I will check it out from a library, because then if I do not like it, I can return it. Her music is one thing, her book is one thing, she is another. Do not go around saying she is an all-around bad person when you don't even see all the branches. If you have, then by all means call her whatever you see fit, but not here. This is NOT MTv, this is NOT People's magazine. This is Teenink, here we rate and describe books. This is her autobiography, and we comment on that, not her music or her overall fame. Thank you.

on May. 19 2010 at 6:34 am
Meavescrete SILVER, Potomac, Maryland
5 articles 1 photo 90 comments
Tis very good

BATMANNN said...
on May. 18 2010 at 6:33 am

If everyone here actually read the book, then you would know that Miley wrote the book. A lot of the stuff she's wrote about could not have been made up or fudged by some publicist or writer. You don't have to like her, but you've got to give her credit. The book is good, I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know her a little more.

And writergirl13, the story about Vanessa is 100% real. She met her at a hospital Miley was visiting and kept in touch up until the day Vanessa died. She also recently got a tattoo on her ribcage that reads "Just Breathe" and is dedicated to Vanessa (who died of Cystic Fibrosis).

She talks about her here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQDhnQG6IvY at the Concert of Hope where she performed and raised money, in which she starts crying. You can't make stuff like that up.

Also, you need to give more credit to 17-year-olds. We can most definitely write a book, thank you very much.


on May. 12 2010 at 2:06 pm
NoRulesJustWrite PLATINUM, Ada, Michigan
21 articles 5 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stay happy, stay weird, and don't let anyone take away your smile.

Thank you (:

me123456 said...
on May. 12 2010 at 9:09 am
tis gooooood .no??????

on May. 11 2010 at 11:17 pm
Solnyshko SILVER, Richfield, Utah
9 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Logic and knowledge are not enough."- Spock

well said...

on May. 11 2010 at 11:15 pm
Solnyshko SILVER, Richfield, Utah
9 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Logic and knowledge are not enough."- Spock

sheesh, people..we're here to discuss writing, not Miley Cyrus's personal life! She's a person, too. I don't think the author of this well-written article should have to defend the fact that she likes miley Cyrus.

A job well done on the article, I really enjoyed it.

P.S. This is coming from someone who is definitely not Miley's biggest  fan.


on May. 8 2010 at 10:45 pm
ok-well in my opinion i am just wondering how you can sit and call miley a brat..? i mean i dont know her but that doesnt give you the right the call somebody a brat if you have no clue who they really are.

JCMerak BRONZE said...
on Apr. 28 2010 at 10:57 am
JCMerak BRONZE, Reno, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Yes, I agree. Thank you for amending that.  I'm sure Miley did write the book, I think the thing I was trying to say though was that but that someone else wrote the body of it. Then again, maybe not. Maybe Liftin helped out in the literary aspect and just compiled it?? I don't know, and it really doesn't matter. . . It was a good book and your article was good too! Thanks! -JC

on Apr. 27 2010 at 10:46 pm
NoRulesJustWrite PLATINUM, Ada, Michigan
21 articles 5 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stay happy, stay weird, and don't let anyone take away your smile.

Thank you for your comment. I do disagree with you, however in one aspect. It shows on the title page of Miles to Go that it is "BY: Miley Cyrus, With: Hilary Liftin", not BY: Hilary Liftin. So, yes, Miley had help, but she's already proven her writing talent in her songwriting skills, so it isn't shocking that she wrote a book. I don't see why so many people are dissing her without even reading it. There is so much jealousy and hatred among people that goes along with Miley, but everyone makes mistakes, it's just that Miley is forced to make them for the whole world to see. I mean, come on, think about how hard it would be if you knew that the whole world would be judging you no matter what you did. It's so hard to have a personal, private part of your life when you're famous, and when Miley finally tried to share that part of her life with us, so many people criticized her for it. Miles to Go is Miley's, and hers alone.

on Apr. 27 2010 at 10:40 pm
NoRulesJustWrite PLATINUM, Ada, Michigan
21 articles 5 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stay happy, stay weird, and don't let anyone take away your smile.

There are a lot of people who would write a book at 17. Aren't you on TeenInk to improve and share your writing? Miley has already proven that she is a talented songwriter, so it's not shocking in the least that she decided to write a book. And yes, she had help from Hilary Liftin while writing, but the book is "BY: Miley Cyrus, WITH: Hilary Liftin".

on Apr. 27 2010 at 9:54 pm
Kristy_loves_Keats PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado
23 articles 0 photos 99 comments
I dont think she can write a biogrophy she is 17!!! that is just stupid at least wait till your like 35 come on people. its jujst not right you have your houl life ahead of you!

JCMerak BRONZE said...
on Apr. 27 2010 at 6:13 pm
JCMerak BRONZE, Reno, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 10 comments

I like the review! I liked the book too! It was insightful into her life and I don't think this is something you can fudge. I don't think she wrote the book either, and it shows on the inside title page that the book was written by Hillary Liftin. Miley probably gave extensive input and facts to the writer and the writer made a story from the viewpoint of a teenager, but who's the bigger name? Of course, it's Miley, so respectably, her name came first. Why? This is an official book for her, other than a biography from a third party. Anyway, good job with the article! - JC

P.S. You might like to know, her newest album 'Can't Be Tamed' will be out this June 22nd in the U.S. Also, the title track, the album’s first single, premieres this Friday (April 30th) on MySpace and will hit airwaves May 3.