Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick | Teen Ink

Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick

January 24, 2017
By SecretButterfly16 GOLD, Sacramento, California
SecretButterfly16 GOLD, Sacramento, California
15 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be the change you want to see - Ghandi


Never Fall Down, by Patricia McCormick, is narrated by a 11 year old Cambodian boy named Arn Chorn-Pond. His story inspires everything that happens in the book. Arn, his family, and his village have to flee their country because of the vietnam war and Cambodian “killing fields”. After a few years of suffering in Cambodia, he immigrated to the United States and had to adjust to a new life. This book will make you feel for immigrants  from other countries that have to suffer and go through these types of experiences.

During the whole book Arn is separated from his family and is forced to work in horrible  conditions. Some nights Arn goes to sleep starving from lack of food and water.“They fall down, they never get up. Over and over I tell myself one thing: Never fall down”. This shows that Arn feels  fear everyday, but is strong because no matter how hard it gets, he won’t give up and he will do his best to survive through the struggle.

The author Patricia McCormick has written 5 books so far. I can tell you from my experience having read all her books that Never Fall Down is by far the best book she has written. Never Fall Down is  also very similar to the book Sold, that is also written by Patricia McCormick, because it’s about a little 13 year old girl who is sold to sex trade and suffers for a very long time.Both of these books are historical fiction and they both captures the suffering of young kids.I highly recommend Patricia McCormick’s books because we grow empathy by reading about suffering kids.

   Never Fall Down perfectly captures Arn’s thoughts and feelings. Never Fall Down is extremely sad and very intense. It opens the eyes and hearts of those who are reading and keeps you wanting more.  


The author's comments:

Make sure you look up this book. It will change the way you see things.