My Grandmother Told Me To Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman | Teen Ink

My Grandmother Told Me To Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

By Katiewil BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Katiewil BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Grandmother Told Me to Tell You She’s Sorry, by Fredrik Backman, is an exciting yet charismatic novel that has plenty of great details to keep you intrigued for the whole book. This book is written by the perspective of the main character, Elsa,  a seven-year old girl whose only and best friend is her unique, fun grandmother. Suddenly, Elsa’s grandmother dies and only leaves her story called “The Land of Almost-Awake with the Kingdom of Miamas,” and letters that Elsa needs to deliver to different people in different locations. Elsa delivers each letter going on a great adventure, meeting new friends, and receiving closure to her grandmother’s death.

In this novel, Backman wrote the book in the third-person perspective of Elsa, so you can understand her emotions during the loss of her grandmother, and the soulful adventure she asks Elsa to accomplish. This book’s theme mainly revolved around adults ignoring children and the effect it has on children as they grow up.  Children look up to their parents and enjoy receiving love, respect and honesty. They want to be acknowledged and feel like they have accomplished their goals to the pride of their elders. I enjoyed this because it put a spin on realistic fiction stories; it has aspects that made me intrigued me to read more.This book put a sensitive take on grief, and wise view on relationships, making this novel more intriguing and emotional to read. Some aspects included how Backman made the plot believable, while creating a reflection of human life, without stereotyping children, grandparents and family. I would recommend this book for anyone looking for a touching, sometimes-funny, emotional book that gives a true portrait of grief for children.