The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver | Teen Ink

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver MAG

May 25, 2018
By Anonymous

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is a book that forces readers to pay attention to its powerful message, leaving itself imprinted on one’s mind. It features Nathaniel Price, a fierce Baptist preacher who uproots his wife, Orleana, and four daughters from the small town of Bethlehem, Georgia, to spread the word of God to the Congo in the 1960s. The story follows all the struggles that come along with life in Africa, as well as the struggles of the women of the Price family against the expectations and cruelty of Nathaniel. Kingsolver weaves together politics, race, and religion with a coming of age story of the four Price daughters (Rachel, Adah, Leah, and Ruth May) as well as showing the slow unraveling of their family. All this is set against the backdrop of the Congo at a time of great political struggle that continues to this day. The Poisonwood Bible is written with a tender beauty that makes the story of the crumbling peace of both the Congo and the Price family haunting. One of the main conflicts of the story focuses on Nathan’s wife and daughters as they try to survive both the environment of the Congo and Nathan’s abuse. It shows the incredible strength of women to overcome adversity and thrive in the face of challenges and tragedies, demonstrating that although the girls’ strength may be gentle, it is just as powerful as Nathaniel’s.

The story also follows the family after they leave the Congo, emphasizing the lasting impact living there had on each character. The last section of the book focuses on the difficulty of forgiving
oneself after a great tragedy. Throughout the entire book, the characters walk a fine line between doing what they think is righteous and doing what is right – and Kingsolver explores those ideas in a way that is both complex and refreshingly blunt.

This book is one of the best that I have ever read, and it has earned a permanent spot on my list of favorites. It is written with stunning, vivid language, and Barbara Kingsolver brings an incredible amount of compassion for – and knowledge about – the people of the Congo, having lived there herself as a child. Not only that, almost hidden beneath the beauty of the writing and complexity of the characters is a political purpose. Kingsolver reveals the involvement of the United States in the Congo, and makes readers question what else might have been buried in our country’s history. She cultivates an interest and understanding in a period of history that most people aren’t aware of – one that has left ripples in the Congo that remain even today. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in historical novels, although I don’t believe it is limited to that. It is a coming of age story as well as piece of art. Though her masterful storytelling, Kingsolver creates a novel that is both beautiful and purposeful, and can leave you questioning everything you thought you knew about the United States.