ARC Review: Brother Sleep by Aldo Amparán | Teen Ink

ARC Review: Brother Sleep by Aldo Amparán

September 12, 2022
By nataliedc12 PLATINUM, Crafton, Pennsylvania
nataliedc12 PLATINUM, Crafton, Pennsylvania
43 articles 7 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If nobody is listening, am I making any sound at all?" ~ Alice Oseman


A haunting own-voices poetry collection centered around grief, coming out, gender norms, cultural expectations and mental health, Brother Sleep by Aldo Amparán is a tragic, gorgeously-written retelling of the author’s tumultuous childhood.

From the moment I picked up this digital ARC, I knew this was going to be a 5-star read. Amparán is a master at language, as they expertly weave together diverse forms of verse in order to craft an unforgettable story of loss and rebirth. This command over the art of poetry is reminiscent of one of my favorite poets of all time, Ocean Vuong, and only furthered my admiration for this debut poet’s work.

In spite of this collection’s dark subject matter, each poem engages the reader and tackles a different theme with the care and love it deserves, leaving no stone left unturned by the end of this brief collection and only leaving the reader wanting more. Everything from the skillful use of symbolism to the seamless blend of queer Mexican history and the author’s personal anecdotes supports the fact of the matter: that Amparán’s love for this selection of works and the story they tell knows no bounds.

Needless to say, Amparán’s lyrical mastery as well as their passion towards a story kept close-guarded only strengthens the power of this brief poetry collection. If you’re in the mood for an unforgettable story about the weight of being alive in a world many are not, are looking for a new LGBTQ+ poet to stan, or simply want to learn more about the queer Mexican experience, this debut own-voices poetry collection is the read for you. Check out Brother Sleep, out September 13th, and, as always, happy reading!