<i>Fitzwilliam Darcy; An Honourable Man </i>by Brenda J. Webb | Teen Ink

Fitzwilliam Darcy; An Honourable Man by Brenda J. Webb MAG

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

I read this book twice before reviewing it. The first time, I was caught up in the story. Then I read it again, more carefully and enjoyed it just as much, if not more.

This novel is a seemingly effortless blend of the perfect love story of Pride and Prejudice with the darker, Victorian Jane Eyre. I've always loved the darker variations, where our favorite lovers have everything stacked against them.

Darcy returns from a miserable voyage only to find that the woman he has been trying to forget has been grievously wounded and can no longer speak, and yet, he does not hesitate to offer his aid. This book shows everything I love most about Darcy: his constancy, his honorable nature, and his total willingness to sacrifice everything for those he loves.

Elizabeth is a mystery for most of the book. Since she is unable to communicate, you wonder what happened to her. You have a few clues, and even as she returns to awareness, her memory has holes. I love that even at her worst moments, she responds to Darcy. The faith she has in him is lovely.

The minor characters are brilliant. Col. Fitzwilliam is concerned that his cousin is ruining his life, yet is unceasing in his support. Georgiana is impulsive and loving. In addition to the traditional characters, you meet new and lovely additions, such as Evan Ingram, Georgiana's charming husband, and – my personal favorite – Evelyn Fitzwilliam, his mother.

This book is easily one of the top ten Austenesque novels I have read. As I write this review, I'm itching to start reading it a third time.

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I loved this piece, its incredibly moving and creative!