Dead Poets Society | Teen Ink

Dead Poets Society

January 25, 2019
By DianaRodriguez BRONZE, Methuen, Massachusetts
DianaRodriguez BRONZE, Methuen, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dead Poets Society

There are only a few films that stick with you and have the ability to inspire and embolden you, Peter Weir’s 1989 film Dead Poets Society does just that. The year is 1959 another school term is about to begin at the prestigious Welton Academy. John Keating (played by Robin Williams) is a newly hired English Professor at the academy, and also a former student at the school. He shocks his students as he instructs them to rip out the opening essay out of their poetry textbooks. He believes that textbooks don't show the true meaning of poetry. He also makes them stand on his desk to get a new perspective on literature and life. This movie describes a paradise where students escape from the tiring reality that is education in the United States. The students form a poetry group that Mr Keating was in when he was a student. They learn the importance of expressing your emotions through poetry.
The key conflict is between Neil (Robert Sean Leonard), a student who dreams of being an actor. His father (Kurtwood Smith) refuses his dreams and wants him to become a doctor. His father is strict and forbids him for joining the play, describes it as being “distracting”. Unfortunately the plot takes a heart-wrenching turn that deepens the story's plot.
When you get a film that just makes you think, you know it's special. This film knows how to challenge perception, this film is set in 1959, but is still relevant today. Robin Williams character encourages them to do things behind their parents and leaders backs. This story is inspiring and intense. This movie gives parents an opportunity to open a discussion with their adolescent child about many of the issues that they will be experiencing in the future. It's a heartfelt film that really hits you where it counts.


The author's comments:

I'm a junior in high school and I'm 16 years old :D