Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy | Teen Ink

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy revolves around an anchorman named Ron Burgundy, who's famous for being the best newsman in San Diego and is a bit of a goof ball. Ron Burgundy enjoys living the life of a proud anchorman, and he loves being famous in his home of San Diego for his work. However, when an attractive woman joins his news station, things start to go sour. At first, Ron falls in love with reporter Veronica Corningstone and tries to convince her to go out with him, which is slightly difficult at first, because she is set in stone on not having any relationships with work colleagues, but after he is able to show her his best qualities, they start to have a relationship with one another, causing things to get even more complicated. When Veronica gets the opportunity to be on camera, and she outshines Ron, things get extremely nasty. The fact that Veronica eventually takes his place on his news station upsets Burgundy, because he feels he has been stripped of his dream job, his masculinity, and all of his dignity. During the time this movie takes place, the 1970s, women weren't on television as news reporters, and having them outshine a lead anchorman was unheard of, resulting in Ron trying his hardest to get rid of her. However, Veronica soon decides to fight fire with fire, and she ends up succeeding with her goal. Ron Burgundy becomes despised by the people of San Diego and gets kicked off of his position, but when a crazy story breaks out at the San Diego Zoo, Ron has an opportunity to set his career right, as well as his love life. 
 Although parts of Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy are more than just slightly predictable, the movie still proves to be an enjoyable, entertaining comedy, and there are a few parts that certainly feel inspired. The beginning of the movie is able to brilliantly jump start the movie and immediately allows the movie to create drama and suspense. The middle of the movie marvelously progresses the movie along and jam-packs the film with character development and continues to increase the level of intensity in the movie. The somewhat enticing ending of the movie is a little bit more dumb than the rest of the movie, and nearly none of it is that shocking or surprising, but most of it is heartfelt and heart-warming, so that is definitely a plus.

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy is an overall fantastic comedy that has some truly superb scenes. The movie has some terrific jokes and perfectly-timed quotes that are delicately sprinkled throughout the dialogue. None of the movie's wittiness feels forced or unnatural, which is actually an incredibly difficult task to accomplish. The cast of the movie is impressive and gathers together a group of fun actors that shine as comedians and are able to mesh together to create a truly hilarious movie. In fact, without the tremendous actors and actresses, the movie may not have been able to succeed, because the actual plot of the movie isn't exactly the best. However, its stars are able to shine. Will Ferrell is spectacular as Ron Burgundy and does an amazing job of carrying the movie on his shoulders, ensuring that the movie doesn't fall into a pit of crude silliness. Paul Rudd and Steve Carell both do awesome jobs as two supporting roles, and both of them are truly able to transform into their characters, whom add lots of humor to the movie, since some of the best lines come from them. 
 Not only does Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy manage to be able to sit well with viewers, but critics also found satisfaction with the movie. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a solid 66%, and IMDb gave the movie a fairly high 7.2/10, which is actually a lot better than it seems, since they are generally known for giving lower scores, especially to comedies, and that same logic applies to Rotten Tomatoes. A fairly impressive 87% of Google users liked the movie, which is always a good sign to see, and how average watchers felt about the movie is probably the most important statistic of them all, since this movie is catered towards that audience. 
 Even though Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy isn't perfect or the greatest comedy of all time, it is still a movie with worth watching, because it definitely has its highlights, due to a magnificent cast that makes the movie even more compelling to see, and it wouldn't be that outrageous for some to want to see the entirety of the film just for their performances. 

"I love lamp." - Brick Lamland