Bruce Almighty | Teen Ink

Bruce Almighty

February 15, 2019
By BenParker3737 DIAMOND, South Burlington, Vermont
BenParker3737 DIAMOND, South Burlington, Vermont
91 articles 5 photos 16 comments

Bruce Nolan is having an extremely bad day, what with losing his job, having a massive fight with his girlfriend, and getting beaten up by a street gang. So of course, it's only natural that he'd angrily lob insults at God and blame him for everything. However, God actually responds to this by appearing in human form and offering to give Bruce his special powers for a week, to which he accepts. As you might expect, lots of comical shenanigans ensue.

Overall, while it could have done a lot more with its potentially hilarious and introspective premise of God appearing in human form, Bruce Almighty is still intermittently chuckle-worthy enough to slightly elevate it above the typical “dumb comedy”, especially with Jim Carrey (who is especially funny towards the beginning) as the loony Bruce and Morgan Freeman as the wise God. Admittedly, the film too often veers into predictability, melodrama, and eye-rolling bathroom humor (a dog repeatedly pees everywhere; a monkey jumps out of a man’s anus, only to jump back in again) to really be anything more than a slightly clever pedestrian comedy. Even so, if you’re looking for something mildly enjoyable enough to watch for Friday Movie Night, Bruce Almighty isn’t the worst thing you could pick.