The Kid Who Would Be King | Teen Ink

The Kid Who Would Be King

By JG0529 SILVER, Tirana, Other
JG0529 SILVER, Tirana, Other

“Old school magic meets the modern world in the epic adventure." Alex (Louis Ashbourne Serkis) and Bedders (Dean Chaumoo) are school nobodies and try to befriend the school bullies Lance (Tom Taylor) and Kaye (Rhianna Dorris). The group tries to take on the challenge of defeating the evil Morgana (Rebecca Ferguson). With the help of the wizard Merlin (Angus Imrie and Patrick Stewart), they are able to build an army of students and fight against Morgana and her army of skeleton knights. Joe Cornish’s Kid Who Would be King will leave you stunned. This movie is totally worth two hours of your time.

While this isn't the best movie of all time it isn’t bad either, and the statistics show that. Rotten Tomatoes gave it an amazing 90%, Empire and Common Sense Media gave it a ⅘, and 85% of Google users liked this film. “This fantasy adventure—a Spielbergian spin on Arthurian legend that sticks London high-school life, ancient wizards and some CG-enhanced battles into a big old blender—doesn’t quite match his sci-fi debut Attack the Block for surefootedness.” I totally agree this movie wasn’t as successful as Attack the Block and with the movie’s budget of 59 million dollars and only making about 29 million dollars at box office, Joe Cornish for sure lost some of his reputation. Phil de Semlyen of TimeOut says “It falls short of enchanting but it's never less than fun and likable. Watch it through the eyes of your inner teenager and you’ll have a blast.” And I agree with this, the movie is very likable and fun.

I remember back in first grade when I watched The Sword in the Stone I thought it was magical and enchanting, and I wanted to find the magical sword Excalibur and become king. But then I found out that it is a legend and isn’t true, and my dreams were crushed and I didn’t like the story of King Arthur anymore. I had to find something new so I settled for superheroes. When I heard this movie was somewhat similar to The Sword in the Stone, I was immediately interested. It made me nostalgic thinking about the first time I saw the story of King Arthur. When I saw this movie in the theater I was totally surprised because I expected it to be a childish movie, but it actually wasn’t. The movie surpassed my expectations and made me think about my early childhood. After the movie was over thought about how it was a modern take on the classic movie The Sword in the Stone. They are similar but also different. Some similarities are how a boy finds a sword in a stone and uses the sword for good. Some differences are the time period, in The Kid Who Would be King it takes place in the 21st century and The Sword in the Stone takes place in Medieval England.

I really enjoyed this movie and would totally recommend it to anyone 9 and up. I say this because of some of the scenes might be scary for younger viewers and bullying. Overall this was a great movie for me because it had me relate back to my early childhood when I learned about the story of King Arthur. I recommend this movie to anyone who wants to see a fun, exciting and epic take on a classic story. It’s very interesting and always kept me on the edge of my seat, go see for yourself. My rating for this movie is 8.1 out of 10.