The Nun Review | Teen Ink

The Nun Review

By -Gerry- BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
-Gerry- BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

The Nun

If you are looking for a scary movie with lots of jump scares, that will have you removing your feet from the floor. Then this is the movie for you! The Nun is the third movie in the Conjuring series portraying the sequence of events that led up to the first film. It takes the innocent image of a Nun and turns it into the exact opposite of what a woman of God really stands for—the antiChrist. I had my assumptions about the movie. I figured that the film would be pretty scary and that it would have a good storyline to it. Yet I was partially wrong about the story line. It didn’t have much background to it and it made you guess about what led up to the very beginning. It was an all around good movie that tied up lots of loose ends but still left the viewer wondering. It was just like the rest of the Conjuring movies. The same types of jump scares and effects used to portray the antagonist of the film.

The film begins in the hills of Romania in an Abbey for Nuns in the early 1950’s. Yet in this Abbey, something evil is living within a room of the sanctuary. The Nuns do everything they can to try and bless the room containing this evil, but the evil spirit within still manages to get out. It kills all of the nuns and then causes one girl to commit the ultimate sin…. taking one’s own life. Eventually, nobody had heard much from the Abbey so the council of the priests based out of Rome asked one of their peers, Father Burke (Demian Bichir) to travel to the Abbey and take a future Nun, Sister Irene (Taissa Farmiga) with him. While visiting the Abbey in the hills of Romania, many things happen to the individuals investigating the establishment. They are haunted and they don’t know what by until they figure out the ugly truth hidden away in the Abbey. In the early 14th century, knights blessed the Abbey with the blood of Jesus Christ. It was all holy and not worthy of human interaction, which was everything that went against the devil. This is how they forced the evil spirit into the hole in the ground it came from. Everything changed one day when enemy planes during World War 2 shook the Abbey causing the hole the Devil was contained in to escape.   

If I could have influenced the movie. I wish they would have added scenes leading up to the escape of the antiChrist in the beginning. The creators really made you use your imagination. They only showed a group of panicked nuns running from something evil. In reality though, there is only so much you can do to make a movie 100% perfect with a budget, and an already made plot line. I would would give this movie a 3.5 out of 5 stars because of the lack of storyline in the beginning. But, It still made for a great movie with lots of jump scares.  

I really enjoyed this movie and figured that I would do a review on it. I typed out a summary of the movie and then wrote about what I liked and what I would have inflluenced/changed.