Avengers: Endgame Bust or Not? | Teen Ink

Avengers: Endgame Bust or Not?

By lydiam4493 BRONZE, Whiteman Afb, Missouri
lydiam4493 BRONZE, Whiteman Afb, Missouri

Avengers: Endgame starts off with the remaining Avengers flying to Eden, where Thanos is residing after making half the population disappear. Upon arriving, they find that Thanos had used the infinity stones to destroy the infinity stones. Thor kills Thanos, and it cuts to five years later, with the rest of the world still recovering from the snap. Just as everyone is moving on with their lives, Scott Lang escapes from the quantum realm and goes to the Avengers compound. This starts the epic adventure of bringing the remaining Avengers together to go back in time and gather the infinity stones before they are destroyed. The movie ends with Tony Stark sacrificing himself to save to disintegrate Thanos’ army.

Some of my favorite parts were the way that Endgame dealt with extremely serious issues, such as Thor’s feelings of failure, and putting a light hearted twist on it. Thor deals with his feelings by literally drinking them away, as shown when he sports a “beer belly.” He is a drunk that is mainly there for comedic relief, but you realize throughout the movie that the reason he drank so much was to cope with his feelings of being a literal god and not be able to save anyone, was extremely damaging to his ego and his sense of worth. He realizes that he needs to be the best person he can be, not the best person everyone else wants him to be. This is an important lesson for many young people and others going through existential crisis because it helps them realize that if a superhero can go from looking as well as Thor did to having a dad bod and still save the world, they can get through their rough patch in their life.

My favorite character is Captain America. Hands down. I think it’s because he is such a good man, who only wants to do the right thing because it’s right, speaks to such a personal level. He inspires me to do better in my life. Going through reviews I’ve read a lot of people who weren’t excited with how Steve Rogers’ journey as Captain America ended. He goes back in time to return the infinity stones to their rightful places, and lives the life he always wanted with Peggy Carter. People were saying it was selfish and wrong of him to leave Bucky and the rest of the Avengers and that it wasn’t in character of him. I couldn’t disagree more. If any Avenger had the right to be selfish, it was Steve Rogers. He has constantly fought battle after battle, never getting the break that he so rightfully deserves.

“The man who wanted all that went into the ice 70 years ago.” Steve Rogers in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

I like to think that when Steve went back in time, he found that part of himself again and that was why he decided to live his life with Peggy. Another argument I have is that Bucky Barnes, Steve Rogers’ best friend, obviously knew that Steve was never going to be able to accept living in this new world. Yes, Steve loved his newfound friends, but they could never compete with Peggy. Bucky understood this and that’s why he told Sam to go talk to him. He already knew that Steve needed to have one thing that he could have for himself. That he didn’t need to worry about having fight over and over again.

My all time favorite scene was when all the women of Marvel came together to ensure that Captain Marvel got the gauntlet away from Thanos. It was truly an empowerment of women everywhere. Again I heard criticism that it was forced to match when Okoye, Black Widow, and the Scarlet Witch came together in Infinity War. I too feel like it was forced, but I am proud that women are forcing themselves to be one and work together and to be seen. It gave me chills just watching it, the only scene apart when Dr. Strange transportes himself and all of the other fallen Avengers to the battlefield.

The movie was well worth the wait. The anguish of saying goodbye to well known characters was hard, but you understood why you had to say goodbye. It was an amazing end to an eleven year long journey with heartfelt moments and comedic relief well placed. It makes you want to watch all the marvel movies again and again and again. Thank you, Marvel, for creating such a worldwide phenomena, bringing all types of people together.