Star Wars | Teen Ink

Star Wars

If Rian Johnson upset a segment of Star Wars fans by subverting expectations and taking the franchise in an exceedingly very new direction with The Last Jedi, then J.J. Abrams could also be faulted for not following the new course together with his sequel, Star Wars: Episode IX – the increase of Skywalker. Johnson’s divisive film introduced alternative ideas and thematic deviations into the Star Wars mythology, inventing sometimes oddball story elements (Leia using the Force to tug herself through space). The Last Jedi will be a well-made film, often gorgeous and thrillingly acted, but within the sequential order of things, it stands out style of a sore thumb. After Johnson’s film incited ridiculous protests and online petitions to possess it stricken from the canon, the Disney overseers have attempted to course-correct with the increase of Skywalker.

That’s where Star Wars fandom stands today. The discourse about films of this type has degraded to such a degree that viewers now demand studios make their franchise movies within the manner they expect and feel entitled. All else is jettisoned, denied as part of their selective reality. When The Last Jedi challenged the principles of Star Wars, fans clamored and asked that it's stricken from the record and remade. And if the increase of Skywalker is any indication, Disney listens to the foremost vocal protestors and endeavors to appease them. After all, the House of Mouse desperately wants to gratify fans, if only to confirm the billion-dollar potential of every new Star Wars film. Given such pandering and therefore the ever discontent fanbase, Star Wars has become, for this critic, a low, exhausting state of affairs that daunts further enthusiasm about anything having to try and do with this franchise.

The Last Jedi that Kylo Ren and Rey converse using Force-based telepathy, Abrams mounts psychic lightsaber duels where the boundaries of each duelist’s location begin to overlap with the other. He takes this concept even further when psychic projections become tangible objects, leading to a form of lightsaber teleportation in one scene. The bond between these two characters also has some curious implications about the sheer power they share when together, but I’m undecided I are aware of it.  At last, within the ultimate duel between Palpatine and Rey, they fight as “All the Sith” versus “All the Jedi” in an exceedingly ridiculous battle of energy beams that settles the matter once and for all (for now).

Capably made but misguided in its attempts to satiate its fanbase, the increase of Skywalker marks some quite end to the franchise. It’s a movie that tries to please everyone and, in doing so, crams most into its harried story that it seldom feels inspired. The sheer number of reference points, callbacks, phantoms, and delusions during this film leaves an excessive amount of to disentangle with any logical acceptance. But nostalgia isn’t about logic; it’s about emotions, and therefore the feelings of preciousness about the initial trilogy have sustained ample moviegoers through more bad episodes than good in my estimation. When most about Kylo Ren and Rey proves almost bipolar, it’s difficult to take a position oneself in their fates as heroes or villains. very like its immediate predecessor The Last Jedi, the viewer’s lizard brain leaves the rostrum thoroughly entertained. Maybe that’s enough to justify a bucket of popcorn and a few escapist viewership, but not rather more.