Twilight. | Teen Ink

Twilight.

June 11, 2009
By ashleyphotography BRONZE, Rockwell, North Carolina
ashleyphotography BRONZE, Rockwell, North Carolina
2 articles 5 photos 1 comment

“NO! I love Edward Cullen more.” Is what I overheard a young teenage girl (about 15) scream at her friend while in my school cafeteria.
I saw girls with shirts and bags with “I love Edward Cullen”. I couldn’t help but to roll my eyes.
I asked her, “How did you like the book?”
Her reply was, “Uhm, I have just started reading it, and so far I love it.”

Fair enough, you can love a book, but to get that ‘emotionally attached’ to a character after just starting to read the book, just puts her, along with the book, to shame. When I started reading Twilight, many people would say “HA, why are you reading something that big, don’t you have a life?” Now obviously everyone’s life revolves around the famous Edward Cullen.

There were people screaming when the movie started, and girls screaming when the first saw Edward. Anyone who has really read the book thoroughly and ‘loves’ Edward Cullen, do not take offence to this, but it’s embarrassing to watch young girls through themselves at someTHING they hardly know about.

Honestly the movie was hardly good. It was mildly enjoyable to see the characters life on the big screen, but the acting was terrible, and Edward was far from the perfection described in the book. He had more of a rough and dirty look about him, as if the producers just picked him out of the crowed and chucked him on the screen. Not to mention Carlisle Cullen’s makeup was terrible. The book is far greater than movie; any real fan can see that.
These teeny boppers have hit a nerve with me. It makes Twilight look a whole lot less appealing. I am not one to follow trends, and I hate the fact that this is a ‘trend’ and everyone will be over it as soon as Harry Potter comes out, then we will all be hearing “I ‘love’ Harry more.”


The author's comments:
This is my opinion.