Stand by Me | Teen Ink

Stand by Me

January 23, 2024
By AkenoSenpai2900 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
AkenoSenpai2900 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest.Because that's where you'll find things more important than what you want."


Coming of age films are about character development and how they change from the start of the movie to the end of the movie. Stand By Me is a film of a group of boys looking for a dead body. The director Rob Reiner adapted this movie from one of Stephine King's short stories The body which was essentially what the film was going to be named but was later changed by Rob Reiner to Stand By Me.At first coming of age films were never really something that stood out to me and now after watching Stand By Me it really changed my mind and perspective about coming of age films. If you are a teenager who really values friendships then you should give Stand By Me a chance.   


Stand By Me is about 4 friends who always hangout at their tree house and have fun. Gordie is the narrator for the story as he goes home dwelling into the past after he read a paper on someone dying at a bar which had a name he recognized. He begins to type into his computer the story he tells the stars at the beginning of the story. The boys find out about the dead body by one of the other boys whose name was Teddy. He had overheard his older brother while he was under the porch of the location of the dead corpse. Towards the end of the film is when the major event happens which changes their whole perspective and view to the real world. 


Two boys that really grabbed my attention were Gordie and Chris; they both really showed how much they cared for one another. Gordie is a kid with great story writing skills and had an older brother who passed. Chris is a bad but smart kid who does bad things since he doesn't have much at home but is really good at academics and just doesn't try. These two boys tend to show the true definition of what true friendship means. 


After watching the movie, I felt like I just watched something impactful. I felt like I really understood what to value in the world and not take for granted. I felt like this movie tends to really grab your attention and pull your emotions towards the boys. I wish I coul

d've seen this movie when I was in middle school to cherish those moments with my friends before I moved to Sacramneto.   


Watch Stand By Me to really understand the meaning of friendship and the message it tries to convey. Friendships can come a long way depending on the people you chose to be with. Stand By Me is about trusting yourself. So trust yourself every step of the way.


The author's comments:

I'm in a film studies class which changed my perspective of coming of age films after watching this film.