A Man Called Otto | Teen Ink

A Man Called Otto

By aubreeblanck SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
aubreeblanck SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Looking for a good cry? “A Man Called Otto” will do just the thing. Marc Foster, who was also the director of “World War Z” starring Brad Pitt, did not fall short of capturing an amazing story on screen. “A Man Called Otto” follows the story of Otto (Tom Hanks), an old grumpy man who has given up on life following the loss of his wife. 

We meet many characters in the movie, but the one who seems to have the most effect on Otto is Marisol (Mariana Treviño). Otto doesn't care much for her and her family in the beginning however, they create a special bond soon after. We are soon introduced to Malcolm (Mack Bayda), a transgender boy, who was kicked out of his home by his parents and looked to Otto for help. Malcolm plays an important part in the movie; for instance how he got Otto to see purpose in his life when he needed it most. We are then introduced through flashbacks throughout the movie to his late wife Sonya (Rachel Keller).

Sonya died when they were young and Otto had a tough time grieving her loss. This film portrays how hard coping with loss can be and how it can affect mental health. Otto felt he had no purpose in life without her and always felt alone. Soon enough he finds many people in his life that make him feel loved and help him through his hard times. 

The movie shows Otto's development as a person after a tragic life event. The flashbacks in the movie, gradually showing the past was a strong move in helping the viewers understand what he was going through. The film's casting was amazing, and Tom Hanks played the character Otto perfectly.

“A Man Called Otto” is a captivating drama that shows the ups and downs of the human experience. The themes of this movie consist of the power of human connection and self-discovery and are truly captivating. This movie is a must-watch for those searching for a cinematic masterpiece that will leave a lasting impression and possibly even in tears. 

i loved this movie and thought that it showed the importance of mental health and that you always have a reason to stay.