The Breakfast Club | Teen Ink

The Breakfast Club

April 17, 2024
By Megan_Getty BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
Megan_Getty BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Breakfast Club is a classic movie and is known to be a must watch movie.  I would completely agree with that. It starts with a group of teens with all different backgrounds in a Saturday detention. It has a very entertaining plot as the group spends their day in the library. It can be slow at times, but I believe this helps the viewer feel like they are a part of the group in detention. Over the course of the movie one can realize that there is a deep underlying meaning behind the group of kids, where the identities that we create for ourselves are superficial but deep down we are all the same. It touches on each of the kids' backgrounds and their view on life.

The movie begins with the school principal giving the five students a piece of paper to write an essay on who they think they are. This sets the narrative for the movie. Through lots of heavy dialogue and uncomfortable questions the students learn a lot about each other and themselves that they are a lot more alike than they had originally thought. They build new relationships and form an unbreakable bond. There is great character development as each teen grows from who they were at the beginning of the movie.
After watching this movie, I would recommend it to anyone, I believe that this is a must-watch movie. You get to see so many different perspectives on some pretty heavy topics. The deep meaning behind this was very insightful as I saw high school in a whole new way. I was able to see a whole different time of highschool. After watching this movie I had lots of questions and thoughts in my head as I got to see a whole different way of life and thinking that each of the characters had embodied. 

Overall the plot of the movie kept the characters primarily in the library where they had detention, although they were in the same space for most of the film I believe this added more to the movie because it created an atmosphere where the kids had to sit with all of the different topics without having a place to go to take a breath or get a break. The way it touched on five different classic teen lives made you think and compare all of the different lives and you were able to see that someone may not be all that even though that's how they presented themselves. As you walk down the street, remember that we’re all essentially the same deep down.