Roadhouse Review | Teen Ink

Roadhouse Review

By eddie10 BRONZE, Hubertus, Wisconsin
eddie10 BRONZE, Hubertus, Wisconsin

Dalton Elwood is a character that is so intimidating that when his name is said people run away.  Roadhouse is a movie with Jake Gyllenhaal and Conor McGregor.  

Roadhouse starts with, of course, a fight scene.  In this first scene we get to see the infamous Elwood Dalton.  Dalton is an ex UFC fighter and is recruited to work at a roadhouse in the Florida Keys.  In the beginning of the film we see Dalton unhappy and near suicidal.  We later learn why he was feeling this way as he had an incident in the UFC where he lost control.  

Throughout the film we see Elwood's psychotic behavior that landed him out of the UFC.  As the movie goes on however, you can see Elwood’s character develop.  There is more to the plot than just Jake Gyllenhaal’s character.  Frankie, the owner of the roadhouse, is not only a struggling business but it is an obstacle for a local developer.  The developer wants the roadhouse destroyed so he can build a hotel.  He sends a notorious fighter Knox, Conor McGregor, to handle the new bouncer.  

This movie has a little of everything for movie enthusiasts.  It has drama like the relationship between Dalton and the bookstore owner.  It has action like bar fights.  Roadhouse is the perfect movie for action lovers and movie enthusiasts because of its intense bar fights, Jake Gyllenhaal’s perfect acting, and the stunning visuals. 

Many of the action scenes feature wide angle shots and continuous shots.  Yet, the thing that really stands out to me is the shot towards the end of the movie.  In this scene we can see Knox and Dalton getting into a brutal fight.  For about 5 seconds the shot is put into the perspective of Dalton and this is what really made me love this movie.  

There is one thing that the movie is lacking and that is the acting.  Besides Gyllenhaal, the acting is pretty average.  Conor McGregor's character is over the top and we can see why Conor is a professional UFC fighter instead of an actor.  Jessica Williams plays Frankie, the restaurant owner, and she has some potential as an actor but her acting is mediocre at best.   

New Roadhouse is a great blend of action scenes and visual work that makes you feel like you are in the movie.  I would recommend this movie for people looking for a film that will captivate you and have you immersed in the action.