American Graffiti | Teen Ink

American Graffiti

May 31, 2024
By cwalk17 BRONZE, Cornwall, New York
cwalk17 BRONZE, Cornwall, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Good golly, Miss Molly! It’s the sixties! American Graffiti is a classic film released in 1973 . It was written and directed by George Lucas and produced by Francis Ford Coppola. These notorious film makers came together and made a movie that encapsulates teen life in the early sixties. I also have to shine a spotlight on the amazing casting directors, Mike Fenton and Fred Roos. They casted actors that went on to become Hollywood’s biggest stars, such as Harrison Ford and Ron Howard. This film takes five prominent teens and shows their last night all together in the same town. It’s a coming of age slice of life. 


The film shows Curtis, a hopeless romantic that contemplates going to college. We also meet Steve and Laurie, high school sweethearts that teeter back and forth from being hot and cold. Terry the Tiger, or what everyone actually calls him, Terry the Toad. Your classic nerdy, awkward, goofy guy. He’s a total sweetheart who just wants to get the girl and look cool. No classic movie would be complete without the tough car guy. Milner races around like James Dean, in a yellow 32 Ford coupe. 


I found this movie to truly show the sixties teen experience. The scenes are rarely silent. With forty-one songs on the sound track each scene is filled with iconic melodies that are being played by the popular radio DJ, Wolfman Jack. The music is carefully picked to represent what’s happening in the scene or what a character is feeling. An example of this is Goodnight Sweetheart Goodnight by The Spaniels. In the scene that this song plays, the characters are saying farewell to one another. 


Another great thing about this movie is the dialogue. It’s not too fast and not too slow. For a movie made in the seventies, the slang used doesn’t feel cringey or out of place. The way it was written made the characters relatable and believable. An example of this is when Curtis says, “She spoke to me! She spoke to me, right through the window! I think she said, ‘I love you.’ That means nothing to you people? You have no romance, no soul? She - someone wants me. Someone roaming the streets wants me! Will you turn the corner?” 


 I stayed in the era and not once was taken away from the illusion they presented. The characters weren’t perfect. Each one had their own problems and flaws. This film also had great comedical moments. From kids planting a cherry bomb in a toilet to Curtis saying, “I just saw a vision! I just saw a goddess!” 


The only negative I had was that the ending felt a little flat to me. It didn’t leave me wanting more. It left me feeling unsatisfied. But hey, maybe that was the point. Maybe that added to the message of life after high school. I feel that we all expect this larger than life feeling when entering the “real world.” In reality it could just be the same old thing we’ve already been dealing with but just a little different. Life still has so much more to it but it’s not in your face as much. 


With a great script, beautiful production quality, and cinematography that was pleasing to the eyes, I can confidently say that I thoroughly enjoyed American Graffiti. I can also say that I wholeheartedly recommend this movie to anyone and everyone… especially those with a little Rock n’ Roll in their heart.


The author's comments:

By: Cierra Walker