Speak | Teen Ink

Speak

By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

That's basically the theme to the entire movie. You will sit there, watching, and begin to scream, "SPEAK!"

The movie is about Melinda, a girl just entering high school. She's quiet, a pushover and has no friends. Why, you ask? Because at an end of the summer party, she called the cops. Everyone assumes she's simply a narc, and Melinda refuses to stand up for herself and SPEAK! Throughout the movie you slowly begin to learn why she chose to call the cops, and it's not for the reason everyone believes.

This movie, based on the best-selling novel, is about learning to break through your shell, stand up for yourself and SPEAK! We all can learn something from Melinda's troubles. Kirsten Stewart (Panic Room, Zathura, and the Twilight saga) portrays Melinda very well, due to her expressionless features. But even with her sullen personality, she expresses more than one person ever could through speech.

In my opinion, this movie is even better than the book (something I thought I would never say). I can't exactly pin-point what it is that I enjoyed more about it, though. Possibly it is just the fact that the actors brought more life to the characters than the book did. But even if you enjoyed the book, this movie does it justice. I think any fan of "Speak" the book, will soon find themselves fans of "Speak" the movie.