Varsity Blues | Teen Ink

Varsity Blues

Varsity Blues

The movie I would like to talk about is an older football movie called Varsity Blues. Varsity Blues is a movie that shows a team grow older and grow up together playing football as kids. Later on in the movie it shows the boys their senior year playing football and their love for every single game, in spite of their coach named Bud Kilmer, as they try and make it to the state championship game by winning the 23rd district championship game with the hero Billy Bob by doing the play where he runs around and looks lost, the hook and ladder, as he drags players into the endzone and puts the final game ending score on the scoreboard for the coyotes, they win 21-17. It also shows the boys lives outside of football, of them basically partying all the time. There is also one time in the movie where it was the night before game day and a whole bunch of the varsity starters went to a strip club and get surprised by finding their sexual education teacher working there. They then ended up staying all night until 6:00 in the morning of friday, “gameday”... which was not a good thing for their team since it was already going to be a big game and that made them get blown off the ball basically every play. Later in the movie coach Kilmer walks out during half time and quits his coaching job as the team sticks up for themselves in the locker room during halftime of the district championship game. They played the next 24 minutes and won the game for themselves, not Bud's 23rd district championship title.

This movie has great special effects, it shows a lot of hard hitting and determination of a team's goal. It also shows a lot of what life was probably like back in the 80's and 90's and also what life can sometimes be like today, except there is a lot that has changed, now if we steal a cop car and go booze cruising naked with it we will most likely get more than a slap on the hand.

My favorite characters were probably Billy Bob and Jon Moxon because they are the heroes. Also the old star quarterback Lance Harbor because he still respected his friends after he got injured, the cops were very nice in their little “mount me hats” and in Billy Bob's words “I give it a ten”!