Gosford Park | Teen Ink

Gosford Park

By CupcakeSaffy PLATINUM, Cochrane, Other
CupcakeSaffy PLATINUM, Cochrane, Other

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

IMDb: 7.3/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 86% positive, jumping to 97% in Top Critics
Metacritic: 90/100
Rating: 14A (Canada)
Release date: 2001
U.S. box office: $41.3M

Award-winning Gosford Park uses the timeless murder-mystery outline of Agatha Christie’s novels and embellishes it with all the colour of its radical take on the rigid upper-class/ servant-class division of 1930s England. It is said to be director Robert Altman’s best movie due to his unique filming and sound techniques that cause the viewer to feel a part of the story. It was written by successful actor, presenter, novelist, director and Oscar-winning screenwriter, Julian Fellowes. Gosford Park features an all-star cast including Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, Clive Owen, Emily Watson and Ryan Phillippe, to name a few.

The story’s setting is a 1930s, English country manor house. William McCordle (Michael Gambon), the man of the house, has invited many friends for a weekend shooting party. Since he has gotten older, he’s saved up a fortune, which everyone seems to want a piece of. When he is murdered, suspicion is on all, upstairs and below, in the servant’s quarters. Secrets, lies and guilty pleasures are a plenty and, with incompetent Inspector Thompson (Stephen Fry) on the case, finding the truth is left to outsider, Mary (Kelly MacDonald), a ladies’ maid.

This sparkly, witty drama has exquisitely chosen music that keeps the movie flowing from subplot to subplot. Every line could be a notable, humourous quote, well pulled off by famous actors who get into their character with ease and grace. The scenery, props and costumes used are all relevant, important factors in creating a stunningly authentic atmosphere that keeps the viewer intrigued at all points. Gosford Park is truly a fabulous movie that many would enjoy. Here’s a taster:

Constable Dexter (Ron Webster), when searching for clues: Sir, someone's traipsed a load of mud in down here.
Inspector Thompson (Stephen Fry): Not now, Dexter, please.
Constable Dexter: Inspector, there's a broken coffee cup down here.
Inspector Thompson: Dexter, they have people to clear these things up. You get on with your own job.

Not an in-depth review, but trust me the film is brilliant - very Julian Fellowes.