Super Size Me | Teen Ink

Super Size Me

By Tybalt SILVER, Coral Springs, Florida
Tybalt SILVER, Coral Springs, Florida

Dear Writers of Supersize me...

In your documentary, you depicted a (once) healthy man exercising his rights. He could do a simple calorie count on the foods served at drive-ins, or he could go on a stigmatic rampage, designed to destroy the fast food industry. Our protagonist had a choice!

To eat... Or not to eat...

Ay, there's the bacon rub... Actually, this is the choice we all have. This video implies that the exponential growth in the serving size of soft drinks and foods have grown because restaurants (McDonald's, Burger King etc.) have been forcing them onto the United States. If anyone was to think about it for more than a second, they would realize that in this free market economy, it is the PEOPLE that decide what is served to them. If people bought healthy food, McDonald's, would be forced to serve healthy food to stay competitive. At the beginning of the movie, you mentioned that in over 100 countries have McDonald's franchises serving 46 million people. That counts only McDonald's, there are other fast food tycoons in those countries as well. So I ask you, why is the U.S. the fattest country? The reason is simple. Americans are fat. Is McDonald's is less aggressive in their marketing efforts in other countries? Is a Big Mac any less fattening if it is served in attractive France, rather than the portly United States of America? Or, is it that they have more self control?

I really enjoyed how you tried to anger the audience with the heartbreaking story of the obese children. I have another question. If a child hurts himself on a bike while improperly using said bike, who is responsible: his parents or the bike company? The parents who did not supervise their child properly would have a SUPERSIZED hospital bill and only a bank loan to help pay for it. Suing Little Debbie Cakes for poisoning children with sweet delicious icing would be futile. Any defense attorney worth his weight in deep fried pies would say that any child would eat cake every day of the week for every meal if given the chance. It is up to their parents to stop them.

I am certain that anyone could eat McDonald's every day for every meal and stay at a healthy weight. I seriously doubt eating a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, or an egg and cheese English muffin for breakfast with an orange juice or milk would put you in danger of obesity. A chicken club sandwich with a lettuce and tomato and a multigrain bun is not going to kill you. For dinner, having a salad and some apple wedges is not a recipe for clogged arteries. After all that healthy eating, you might be able to splurge on a pie. Morgan Spurlock ate everything on the menu. Congratulations! You have proved that overeating is bad for you! But, I guess you are right, they have unhealthy things on the menu as well, so we were FORCED into eating it.

I'm sorry, but I need to go... I have to sue Publix, Wal-Mart, Best buy, Walgreens, 711, and countless other food-selling businesses because every time I go shopping, I see another unhealthy snack food with a 2 for 1 sale sign above it. I realize that that is painfully reticent to a cashier asking me to supersize... In fact... Its worse! They aren't adding fat and salt for 40 cents more! They are adding it free! HOW CAN I TURN THAT DOWN!?!?
P.S. Your documentary has left me famished!

Hungrily,
Om nom nom...