The Hunger Games Series and Movie Review | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games Series and Movie Review

April 11, 2012
By Alechcim SILVER, Plano, Texas
Alechcim SILVER, Plano, Texas
6 articles 2 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There's no such thing as impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
"Be the change you wish to see in the world.- Ganhdi
"I have no failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work." -Thomas Edison


This is my honest opinion of the Movie, Book and the Hunger Games craze in general.
There are some spoilers in here....just a warning.
Please comment your opinion, I'd like to know what YOU think!

I was a fan from the beginning.

I recall at the beginning of my 7th grade years, hearing about a "AMAZING ULTRA AWESOME" book called, The Hunger Games.

The Hunger Games? I thought. The very name made me hungry at first.
Being the distracted Pre-teen I was, I eventually forgot about it.

But not for long.

My cousin, an even more active reader than myself, said she loved the series and couldn't put the book down.

I remember, as it was purchased for me as I gift, I opened the first page later that night.

My eyelids stayed open till the sun came out.

So, I was hooked. I finished the entire series in about a month to two months or so.

The book was just amazing.
The romance.
The action.
The death.
The plot.
The conflict.
The setting.

The ruins of North America ruled by a ruthless Capitol, reminding them of what they've done by sending 24 teenagers into the arena, and only 1 coming back alive.

It's something I can only DREAM of writing.

In a very short amount of time, the book was popular out the wazoo.

And when the movie came out?

BAM.

Team Peeta
Team Gale
Team Cato
Team Rue
Team Katniss

"UGH, THE ONLY REASON YOU LIKE GALE IS BECAUSE LIAM HEMSWORTH PLAYED HIM."

"I LOVE PEETA MORE!"

"TWILIGHT SUCKS, OMG HUNGER GAMES IS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER."

"YOU KNOW HOW THERE WAS LIKE, HARRY POTTER FANS? WELL I'M LIKE THAT BUT IT'S THE HUNGER GAMES INSTEAD."

"I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES MORE THAN YOU."

Completely overwhelming.....I must say.
Some people started reading the book when they found out a movie was being made...
Some read it after....
Some didn't read it at all....

It makes me mad, honestly.
You MUST read a book like the Hunger Games to be a hardcore fan, before the movie.

For example:
Where was the Avox?
Where was Madge?
The Mocking jay pin was not given to Katniss at a market...

Small details, yet noticeable to somebody who read the books and noticed.

Something else makes me want to punch Tyra Banks in the face....
When some people question why Rue was black...
I lose it.

It says QUOTE FOR QUOTE in the first book,

"The boy tribute from District 11, Thresh, has the same dark skin as Rue, but the resemblance stops there."
Page 126, paragraph 3.

Some of these people just kill me.

Other people complain that the books are just to hard to read..........

And so the movie?

I was completely excited for.
The trailers seemed epic.
And I was a hardcore fan, but not the type who screams out loud "TEAM PEETA OMG I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I have a shirt that says it, but for other reasons than just to prove I can watch a trailer on TV. It's because I really do LOVE Peeta Mellark.
I what he says, I love his humor, I love his love for Katniss, I love everything.

It's not because I hate everybody else, and he is my favorite, because honestly I love all the characters.

The movie was by far amazing. I saw it at midnight, with almost low expectations, since the books are always better.

But, it sure showed me.

It was over an hour of heaven.

And that's when it REALLY blew up.
Everybody everywhere was seeing it now, claiming they LOVED it and where the biggest fans ever.

When I would reply.

"Yeah, I love it too!"

They would say,

"I love it more than you."

Whatever.

Jenifer Lawrence was a spot on Katniss.
Josh Hutcherson was a spot on Peeta.

Everybody was spot on with there roles. There was no attempt to try and make Peeta look like a extremely muscular chick magnet, who made ladies fall to their knees, and Katniss was not portrayed at a stick thin supermodel who looks perfect in any conditions.

They where 100%, honest to goodness accurate.

The cinematography was phenomenal, and entering the Cornucopia was just amazing.

When Rue died....I was bawling....
Don't wear makeup to that Movie.

I read that on of Suzanne Collin's inspiration of the Hunger Games, was the old Roman empire.
Take for example the ruling Monarchy, The names such as Octavia, Cinna, Portia and the horse drawn carriages, battles to the death observed by the public in a arena.

I love it all.

And what Peeta says in the book and movie is breathtaking, and applies to real life, also.

I don't want to be another piece in their game. So true.
If you want to live in your own skin, BE YOU.
It doesn't matter who judges who, they are the ones with the problems anyway.

They way Katniss and Peeta show up the capitol in the last few second of the Hunger Games, tricking the heartless rulers after all.

They don't need their winner.
Why should they?

Book:
400 out of 5 stars.

Movie:
400 our of 5 stars.

If you haven't read the series yet, please please please please do, and take more of it in than just how Peeta is the perfect dream guy....

Thank you for reading my review you
got all the way through it.
Please comment and rate!

Happy hunger games!

And may the Odds EVER be in your favor.


The author's comments:
I needed to get this out.
I love the Hunger games so much