Cowboys & Aliens | Teen Ink

Cowboys & Aliens

July 16, 2012
By alanclarke714 PLATINUM, Kuna, Idaho
alanclarke714 PLATINUM, Kuna, Idaho
35 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"...All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf


Based on the Platinum Studios comic book, this film masterfully directed by Jon Favreau is an intense and exciting piece of cinema. Cowboys & Aliens tells the story of a stranger stricken with amnesia who makes his way to the little town of Absolution, where his journey to discovering his past (and his destiny) begins.

Daniel Craig was just spectacular in the role of Jake Lonergan, the mysterious stranger who rolls into town one day and accidentally brings hell with him the next day. Harrison Ford was a great and believable villain in the role of Col. William Dolarhyde, a ruthless and wealthy cattleman. Olivia Wilde was just stunning as the even more-mysterious Ella, who knows who Jake really is and what the aliens attacking are. The rest of the supporting cast were fantastic as well, especially Clancy Brown as the preacher of the town. The visual effects are top-notch; i have NO CLUE why this film did not make it to the Oscars or Golden Globes for Best Visuals. The aliens were not extremely terrifying, but they were creepy and violent enough to where they are a memorable foe. The design and layout of the setting and aliens' technology is phenomenal; the writers of Transformers and Damon Lindelof successfully combined sci-fi story with an action-packed western. The music from Harry Gregson-Williams is as memorable as any classic film score, combining classic guitar and western themes with dark, electric tones that underline the aliens' being on Earth and their "experiments" on humanity.

All in all, Cowboys & Aliens is a fantastic sci-fi/western that brings to life an original and interesting story that shows that genre-blending still works. 9/10 Stars


The author's comments:
Cowboys & Aliens is one of my favorite aliens as it is in reminiscence of the Indiana Jones films, combining realistic action with a paranormal plot-line