The Butterfly Effect | Teen Ink

The Butterfly Effect

December 3, 2012
By AmeliaJane97 BRONZE, King George, Virginia
AmeliaJane97 BRONZE, King George, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Butterfly Effect was released in January of 2004. It was directed by Eric Bress and J. Mackye Gruber, the screenwriters for Final Destination 2. This movie starred Ashton Kutcher as Evan Treborn as a young adult. Evan is a man who finds he has the ability to travel back in time and change the present. He attempts to set things right for himself and his friends, but there are unintended consequences for all. This movie also starred Amy Smart and William Lee Scott as Kayleigh and Tommy, a brother and sister with a pedophile father, and Elden Henson as Lenny, their friend. This movie is rated R, and children should NOT watch this. Many scenes are not appropriate for people under the age of 17.

According to imbd.com on November 30th, 2012, “The Butterfly Effect is explained at the start of the movie that the Butterfly Effect is a tenet of Chaos Theory, which says that even the smallest of occurrences, such as the flutter of a butterfly's wings, can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world. This means that every action you take, and every choice you make, has a consequence; with every action, there is an equal and opposite occurring reaction. What you say and what you do may and will have an effect on someone else, what that person then says and does will have an effect on another person, and that person and another and yet another after that. No matter how small, meaningless or innocuous, what we say and do will always affect someone else, whether intended or adversely, ultimately causing "ripples" that may extend to a far greater proportion of those effected than intended.”

The cast was well picked, and played each of their parts very well. There was no trouble interpreting what the characters were saying. They really took the role of their characters at that particular part of the movie, and made the audience believe and feel their emotions. The setting of the movie was well picked and there were no problems with the outfits, or how the characters looked. The children who play the younger versions of the characters are wonderful. They perfectly match the adult actors, and it was believable. It was very nice seeing Ashton Kutcher playing a serious role for once, and seeing what a great actor he really is. This movie was very well written, and there were no problems with the director and how they did things. The ending of the story was not predictable, and very logical and well thought out.

Evan Treborn grows up in a small town with his mother and his friends. He suffers from memory blackouts, inherited from his father whom is in an institution during this movie, where he suddenly finds himself somewhere else, confused. The blackouts don’t happen as much, as Evan gets older. Since the age of seven he has written a diary of his blackout moments so he can remember what happens. One day while Evan is in his dorm room with a friend, she discovers his journals; she convinces him to read an entry, he does, and he has a flashback. He wakes up back to his young adult life shaken up. This is the beginning of his flashbacks, and he soon figures out he can change what happens in the blackouts while he is in a flashback.

I wouldn’t change much if anything about this movie. I would’ve liked to see this movie as pg-13 movie, but making it rated R wasn’t that bad. It would be harder for the younger audience to understand this movie anyway, but some scenes were unnecessary. I read an alternate ending online that was different from the one I had watched, and I would’ve liked to have seen that one in the movie because I felt that would’ve made the audience happier, not just myself.

This kind of movie is great for people who like the ending to be a mystery, and to try to figure things out themselves. That personally was my favorite part of it, and the fact that this movie also is kind of a love story. I believe this movie is a great for an audience 18 or older. I watched this when I was 13, and still loved it. It’s been my favorite movie since then, but I don’t believe many teenagers or pre-teens would appreciate or understand this movie. I watched this movie again the other night, and it still had me emotional at some parts and off my seat. My favorite line from this movie is by Evan as a young adult, “If anyone finds this, it means my plan didn't work and I'm already dead. But if I can somehow go back to the beginning of all of this, I might be able to save her.” This line was played in the very beginning foreshadowing. That quote shows the two main things I like about this movie: the mystery or intensity of the movie and love story part of the movie.

This movie teaches anyone who watches it an important less. If you regret something, changing it won’t necessary make it better or it could actually make it worse. It also teaches the audience, that one little change could alter your entire life.