Iron Man 2 | Teen Ink

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 is about after Tony Stark(Robert Downey Jr.) declares himself as Iron Man, he must face not only a powerful enemy(Mickey Rourke) that is out to destroy him with his own technology, but also his life.

One thing problem that I didn't like about this film was the direction that they took Tony Stark's character. We see WAY to many of his comedic side, and less of the genius side of him. There is this scene in which Tony Stark gets drunk, and it is just embarrassing to watch. They also made him more self-centered and egoistic character.

Another thing was that unlike the original Iron Man film, the plot for this one felt less focus, and more convoluted. This film has so many things going on that Tony Stark has to face. He had to face goverment officials, corporate competition, father issues, a new Stark Expo, S.H.I.E.L.D agents, a new villain known as Whiplash, and MUCH more. The first film focused on him becoming Iron Man, but this one has more story than it actually needs.

This film also has more dull moments than the first film, where even the slow parts of the movie is interesting as we see the genius side of Tony Stark. Here, when the movie slows down, It REALLY slows down. Also, even though the action sequences in the movie are really well done and is entertaining to watch, it doesn't have many action moments. This film only had at least 2 big action scenes, and 1 minor one. For a film that was well structured and had great battles in the first one, this one felt more of a dissapointment, and was more forgettable than the first film.

This film also relies on way to many Avengers Reference. Even though it is fun watching this references, specifically Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury(who was awesome), I felt that this film relied to much on them. The first one had a couple, but this one went overboard, as it felt more of a set up to The Avengers than a standalone movie.(Oh, and the end credits of this film were just purely amazing, as it introduced Thor).

The female characters in this film was also underdeveloped. For instance, Gwyneth Patrow's performance was really good, but her character was much more annoying than she was before. And Scarlett Johansson in the film as Black Widow didn't serve any purpose to the plot, even though she looked amazing when she was kicking butt. She was just there to be really, really, really hot and serve as eye candy.(Did I mention she was hot?)

The things that saves this movie from being a bad experience is undeniably the acting, specifically Robert Downey Jr.'s performance. Like I said, he just owns this role, as we see the more comedic side of Tony Stark. Every time he was on screen, it was always a blast to see. Another great thing was Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer, who easily some of the funniest moments of the film. And Don Cheadle as Rhodey was a HUGE improvement of Terrence Howard's version. Mickey Rourke as Whiplash was a character that I wanted to see more of(But not his bird.).

In the end, Iron Man 2 was a dissapointing film to the Iron Man franchise and is easily the worst film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Iron Man 2 is forgettable.