Flags of Our Fathers | Teen Ink

Flags of Our Fathers MAG

What would you do if you had the chance to return home after being at war for months? One man thought he would tell the press that it was him in the picture with his two buddies who are still alive. This movie is somewhat confusing at first, but it picks up and explains what is happening.

Three men in World War II, John “Doc” Bradley (Ryan Phillippe), Rene Gagnon (Jesse Bradford), and Ira Hayes (Adam Beach), have a famous picture taken of them while putting up an American flag after capturing a hill on a Japanese beach at the battle of Iwo Jima.

What no one back home knows is that this is a replacement flag because the commander wanted to keep the actual flag. These three men were being sent home for putting up the replacement flag. Now they remember the incident when they are 80 years old.

Clint Eastwood should stick to directing. “Flags of Our Fathers” is really good and a lot better than his acting. I like this movie not just because it is a war story, but also because it deals with friendship, leadership, and responsibility. After you’ve seen a few war movies, you begin to notice that a lot of the characters are from past war movies, which makes the movie better because the actors have already done a war movie.