42 how jackie changed the game | Teen Ink

42 how jackie changed the game

By ric2491 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
ric2491 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

movie review

How Jackie changed the game

42 the movie is very inspiring to young athlete all around the planet as Jackie ( Chadwick Boseman) takes on the world and accomplishing the unbelievable. He become the first African American to play a professional sport. In a tough time for America in the middle of segregation he battled through all the hate and disrespect.

In 1946 the Brooklyn dodgers needed a infielder for there baseball team. The coach Branch Rickey was looking through some playings in the farm and negro leagues to play 3rd base. Coach Rickey came across Jackie's name and seen he was very fast running the bases and a unbelievably powerful hitter witch is a hard combination to fine. As Branch processed to scout Jackie in the negro leagues he realized he had the attitude it took to take on the rude fans and players to be the first African American in the major leagues. He set a new standard for sports of all kinds allowing people of every ethnicity to achieve there dreams no matter what it takes.

When Jackie came to the league even the coaches and players on his team didn’t approve of his color. They called his hundreds of names and disrespectful things trying the get under his skin. Jackie being as strong of a man as he was didn’t allow these things to effect his game. There was times he had to bite his tongue even though it may have been one of the hardest things he had to deal with throughout his whole career. Branch Rickey expected all the cruel and hateful things from the white fans and players as he told Jackie “your enemy will be out in force. But you cannot meet him on his own low ground”. His own team tried to sign a petition that they would not play on the same team as Jackie, coach did not allow that and traded anyone who didn’t accept Jackie.

Out of the few people who wanted to see Jackie succeed at the time the 2nd baseman Pee Wee Reese came up with an idea that if in baseball you are recolonized by your number not your color they would all wear the number 42 to show not that Jackie was not just a African American in white baseball but he was just a teammate like everyone else. Jackie had numerous number or death threats that if he continued playing he would die as strong as Jackie was he battled through it and was one of the best ball players of all time as Branch said “i don’t want you to have the urge to fight back, but the strength not to fight back”. Jackie and his wife went from being everyday people to being some of the most hated and unlinked people in the world just trying to achieve there dreams. Nobody should have to be put through anything like this and if it was for Jackie’s love of the game and ambitions sports may not be what they are today.

In a time where white and blacks couldn’t use the same buses,bathrooms,or sit on the same side of the stadium. Jackie was determined to prove the world wrong even though he was forced to play 1st base and treated so harsh he became a hero to everyday life and changed the prospective of the way we see the world. The lesson you should get out of this movie is no matter what color, ethnicity or personality you have shoot for the stars and achieve you dreams.

Crandail Phillips, Burnside, Kentucky
Please edit your work before publishing it online, it'd be helpful.