Phone Booth | Teen Ink

Phone Booth MAG

By Anonymous

A young man standing in a phone booth surrounded by shattered glass, sweat and blood dripping from his face, isn't an everyday image seen on the corner of 25th and 8th in New York City. However, this was the picture seen by hundreds of New Yorkers in the film "Phone Booth."

This movie centers around Stu Shepard (Colin Farrell), a publicist in New York who cheats his way through life. He has an assistant he never intends to pay and a fake watch to go with his fake image. He enters the same phone booth every day, removes his wedding ring and calls a young actress named Pam (Katie Holmes) to ask her to meet him at a local hotel with intentions of cheating on his wife. On this day, she is busy and cannot go.

Right after hanging up with her, the phone rings and Stu picks it up. This is when the action begins. The man on the phone is calling from one of the surrounding apartment buildings and claims to have a sniper rifle. If Stu hangs up he threatens to shoot him. Stu, not believing him, is proven wrong when he hears the sound of the gun cock through the receiver and then sees a man dead on the street next to him. This not only attracts onlookers, but the media and the police.

The entire movie is set on that street corner, but this scene never gets old. The sweat slowly building up on Farrell's face keeps it real, and the reactions of others keep it intriguing. Seeing the red laser pointed toward Stu's heart and not knowing just when the man will shoot keeps you on the edge of your seat. And although Stu has obvious character flaws, you will find yourself rooting for him and hoping that he leaves the phone booth alive to have the chance to make up for his mistakes.

If you like action or suspense, director Joel Schumacher does a perfect job of combining both. This movie will keep you captivated until the end. I give it four and a half coconuts out of five, and strongly suggest you see this film.