Sweeney Todd | Teen Ink

Sweeney Todd

January 23, 2008
By Anonymous

Movie Review
Sweeney Todd

The movie “Sweeney Todd” is the work of straight genius. The story was based off of an 1840’s musical thriller that was written by Stephen Sondheim. In the film, Johnny Depp stars as the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Sweeney Todd. After being taken away from his beautiful wife Lucy and daughter Johanna in a world of happiness and smiles, he comes back fifteen years later to find out his wife and daughter were taken away from him by an evil judge (Alan Rickmond). With a plan to get revenge, not only for that vindictive punishment but for the shocking consequences of what happened to his family, Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter) figure a plan that benefits them both in a way that you would never imagine. This movie is a musical comedy that will make you laugh as well as terrified. With curiosity of what’s going to happen next, this film will have you sitting on the edge of your seat.

Sweeney Todd came out as winner of four Golden Globe awards including Best Actor Johnny Depp and Best Picture Musical or Comedy. As New York Times put it, “A masterpiece, some of the finest stage music of the past 40 years”. Sweeney will “Never Forget, and Never Forgive”