Enders Game | Teen Ink

Enders Game

November 21, 2013
By H18tywalt BRONZE, KEAAU, Hawaii
H18tywalt BRONZE, KEAAU, Hawaii
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The book Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card was a good book. It starts off with a boy named Andrew Wiggen, he is a third born of a family but the parents are only allowed to have two babies but since the got special permission from the government to have a third baby, Ender was born. In the movie they were missing a lot of the events in the book. Ender is Andrews nickname.

Ender was bullied by a kid named Stilson so when they got into a fight Ender was forced to defend himself and destroy his enemy, he didn’t want but he said that he wanted to win all the battles after that. That is the reason why Ender kicked Stilson repeatedly when he was down. The only reason the bullies even dared to attack Ender was because his monitor was taken out so the government couldn’t see him anymore. Every child is given a monitor because the government believes that young children will be great leaders since their minds still have imagination and their minds are still quick not like adults.
After the battle with Stilson, Colonel Graff came to Enders house to invite him to go to battle school. Then after some convincing Ender agreed to go with Graff. Then when Ender was flying up into space for battle school, Graff made all the launchies hate Ender by praising him and making him seem better than all the other launchies. Then another boy decides to pick on Ender and he is actually hurting him. Ender has to defend himself again, and leaves Bernard with a torn ear. They didn’t show that in the movie the only scene that they showed from the launch is the one where one of the launchies named Alai threw-up from the launch. After they got to battle school they met Commander Dap who kept them inline. Battle School was filled with a lot of training and studying.
Ender found the game fairyland and beat the giant by plunging into its eye and killing it. Since he beat the giant he was promoted to Salamander army with Commander Bonzo leading it. Bonzo did not like Ender so he was mean to him then after he proved that he was good in the battle room and not just an ordinary launchies like Bonzo thought he was. He was given his own army to command but they set him up to fail and gave him the army who never won a battle. They gave him the Dragon army and it was full with a bunch of new recruits. But against all odds Ender and his Army were winning all there battles because Ender is a good leader and teacher. Ender goes and plays the fairyland game and goes onto the next level and he finds children playing but then they turn into wolf and kill Ender. Then he is forced to kill the children before they can kill him. Then he is in a room with a mirror then a serpent appears and Ender kills the serpent. Then a he see’s a mirror then when Ender peers into the mirror instead of seeing his reflection he sees an image of Peter his older brother. That makes Ender sad because then he realizes how violent he has become. Bonzo decides that he is tired of Ender winning so then decides to go and teach Ender a lesson so he goes to fight Ender put Ender is forced to fight back and ends up killing Bonzo in the process.
After he proves that he is worthy enough to go to Command School. Colonel Graff takes him back to earth to see his sister Valentine. Then after he gets to see Valentine again Ender is headed off to command school. When he gets to command school he see that the great hero Mazer Rackham isn’t dead but is still alive and that is his new proctor. He goes through a lot of training with very little rest. Ender cracks under the pressure and decides that he doesn’t want to play the game all he wants to do is go back to Earth and stay with Valentine. But he decides that he wants to beat his final simulation because he figures that they are not going to send him home even if he fails. Then when Ender beats that simulation every adult is applauding even Mazer Rackham and then Ender is confused because why would Mazer be applauding and cheering when Ender just beat him. That is when Ender is told the truth that the simulation was linked to the real world and whatever happened in the game happened in real life but Ender had sacrificed his whole fleet to destroy the alien planet. Ender is sad because he had just committed genocide.
Then Ender gets the last egg that holds a queen on the alien planet that the Command school was stationed on. He wanted to help the aliens to repopulate on a new planet. So after the war Ender was awarding the title of admiral and is permissioned to explore other planets so Ender still looks for that planet where he can repopulate the alien race.
The movie and the book where similar but not the same like in the movie the kids where not six like in the book they were about 14 years old. In the movie they didn’t show that much about Peter. Another difference is they didn’t say that Stilson died in the movie like how they did in the book. Also Bonzo died from hitting his head in the movie but in the book his nose was jammed into his brain and that is how he died. In the movie they showed some parts of battle school but they skiped most of their train and the beginning. They were both good but not the same.


The author's comments:
The book was good.