Enders Game | Teen Ink

Enders Game

By Justyce Ishii BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Justyce Ishii BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii

Enders Game Movie vs. Book Review

Enders Game is where a hostile alien force attacks earth. Mazer Rackham is the only reason the humans were able to hold off the aliens. He is a genius, and found patterns in the enemies war strategies. The buggers’ work together better than regular humans can even imagine. Luckily we have Ender, a super genius. He and his classmates enter battle school. This is a place for kids to train and prepare for the war. Ender is chosen to fight for earth against the aliens. To Ender this is more than a war. He is expected to kill a whole race. When he only fights for protection. Ender is soft and loves everyone no matter what. He thinks deeper than any of the student even teachers. Ender thought the buggers would be peaceful and leave us alone. Instead the teachers and most of the human race thought otherwise. They attacked we never tried to listen to them or even try to communicate.
Enders Game takes place in Command school. Command school is where he meets Mazer Rackham. He is also prepared to fight and has lots of training there. He is pushed to his limit, with limited sleep and being and long work hours. Command school is on the planet of Erios. We invaded this planet to set up a basecamp for humans. The planets conditions are tough and humans would have a hard time living on it without an advanced structure, which they have. Battle school is in the advanced structure. Bugger holes are found almost everywhere on the planet. This is where most of the book events take place.
Some characters where switched around, or introduced earlier in the book such as Bean (an important supporting character). This made the movie feel different to me. Dap, a supporting character with an entertaining attitude, was used a lot more in the movie which I thought was a good idea. Ender, the main character, looked much older than described in the book.
The movie decided to leave out some key events from the book. I think the movie should have stuck to the book. Demosthenes and Locke were used for Valentine, a vital person, who is Enders sister, and Peter, Enders crazy brother. Both of the Enders siblings were intelligent just like Ender. In this movie valentine and peter were left out a lot. Peter and valentine were great persuaders. The Demosthenes and Locke part, I felt should have been in the movie. The author talked about it a lot and he felt like it was important enough to be in the book.
The theme of this book is the end justifies the means. This means, it doesn’t matter if our objective is good if we use a bad way to get to there it won’t be as good if we take another path. In this book the humans wanted to save themselves, which was good but we went to war with the buggers. The path we took was the wrong one. We could have saved a race and billons of dollars if we maybe tried to communicate with them.
My rating on the book is a ten out of ten. . It had many details and I thought was composed perfectly. I would rate the movie a seven out of ten. I thought it was rushed and was not as exciting as the book. To me the story was easier to understand. If you plan to watch the movie don’t read the book because, the book is so much better you will hate the movie. I recommend reading the book. It has lots of plot twists and is a lot more exhilarating.