Radio | Teen Ink

Radio

By Arun K. BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
Arun K. BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Radio is the true story of a young man’s journey to education. When Coach Jones (played by Ed Harris) finds Radio (played by Cuba Gooding Jr.) locked in the football locker he immediately feels the need to help him. To get to know Radio better he invites Radio to be an assistant coach on the football team. However, since Radio can barely talk Coach Jones chooses to teach Radio how to read and write instead of leaving him stranded on the street. Although Radio’s was extremely good-natured, many people (such as Frank [played by Frank Mulkey]), objected to allowing Radio near the team and especially in the school. Eventually the football season ended and Radio was sad, until he started as an assistant coach on the basketball team. Enduring many hardships (including the death of his mother) he eventually graduated, and then went back to being an 11th grader.

In my opinion, Radio is a very heartfelt story about true friendship. Although many people thought him mentally challenged, he was the epitome of kindness. He always tried to help, always tried to avoid making people angry (whether at him or another), and never, ever got angry enough at another person to hurt them in any way. This is a great story that shows how the right thing isn’t always easy. THUMBS-UP!

Radio is rated PG for mild language and thematic elements.

I like to read, play violin, and play tennis.